title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Getting and running latest fdkaac and opusenc encoders for dbpoweramp.

Getting and running latest fdkaac and opusenc encoders for dbpoweramp.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have some mp3 files and I want to convert to m4a files using fdkaac encoder latest version available. Similarly I want want to convert these mp3 files to opus using opusenc encoder latest version available.

There are a number of benifits of using latest version of encoder available like the output audio quality will be good etc., rather than using old one.

Generally i am using fdkaac or opusenc in dbpoweramp. Using them directly is not good.

Dbpoweramp supply their own encoders for fdkaac and opusenc and they are too old.

I want to use the latest version of fdkaac and opusenc encoders instead. Source code of these encoders are available from git etc.,.

I have downloaded media auto build suite and ran it. It has downloaded the source code and compiled and created .exe files for fdkaac and opusenc.

I have copied these files to encoder directory present in the dbpoweramp folder.

I tried to convert these mp3 files to m4a and opus using old fdkaac and opusenc encoders provided by dbpoweramp. After that I have converted these mp3 files to m4a and opus using new fdkaac and opusenc compiled by msys2 or mingw64.

The files converted using old fdkaac and opusenc are of small in size than the ones converted using newly compiled fdkaac and opusenc at same bitrate.

I think that msys2 compiler is inferior than others. Which is the best way to compile source code of fdkaac and opusenc in optimal way like gcc or visual studio etc.,.

Can you suggest where to get or how to compile fdkaac and opusenc encoders .exe files which converts mp3 files to best quality output audio files.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Getting and running latest fdkaac and opusenc encoders for dbpoweramp.

I don't think that converting a lossy mp3 into any other codec with any encoder will improve the sound quality. mp3 is lossy and so will be all conversions you can do with the mp3 files.

Dat Ei

Administrator

R17 uses Opus 1.3.1 and if you look here:

https://opus-codec.org/

1.3.1 is the latest.

FDK is 2.0.2 which if you look here, 2.0.2 is the latest:

https://github.com/mstorsjo/fdk-aac

Ok thanks for your clarification.

opusenc is ok but I want fdkaac encoder from you only because your version of fdkaac works at its best than the ones obtained from other sources. Your version of fdkaac produces m4a output file at less memory space and at the same time with optimum quality.

Git repository consists of source code but I want executable file.

May I know how you compile source code of fdkaac so that I will follow the same.

Administrator

Visual Studio 2017

From the past 4 years I am using fdkaac and opusenc with dbpoweramp and I am satisfied with the audio quality of converted audio files.

So I want to use same fdkaac and opusenc with dbpoweramp but with latest versions of the above.

As I want windows versions of the above encoders I think that visual studio produces perfect executable files than msys2 or mingw64 gcc.

At present I have downloaded visual studio community edition 2022 and all the components of vc ++ and Linux make tools etc.,. But I don't know how to compile source code obtained from git.

I have seen the source code of fdkaac present in the nu774 fdkaac repository of git. In it I can see .sln and .vcxproj files.

If I open these files can I compile source code automatically without any much effort of installing mingw and passing parameters to it.

In the doom forum I have noticed that someone has compiled fdkaac 2.0.1 with msys2 and provided media fire link. The link is

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jphuy8...v2.0.1.7z/file

Can I trust it and use it in my dbpoweramp or foobar.

Administrator

2.0.1? we are using 2.0.2, why would you want to use older? as already mentioned we are using the latest code for both Opus and fdkaac, recompiling will not get you anything better.

Is there any improvement in quality by converting 16 bit depth MP3 files to m4a files by specifying minimum bit depth as 24 bit and maximum bit depth as 32 bit float in the dsp of bitdepth.

Administrator

No, when going mp3 >> m4a the encoder asks for the highest quality which would be 24 bit already.

I have converted 16 bit depth MP3 file into m4a file using fdkaac by specifying minimum bit depth as 24 bit and maximum bit depth as 32 bit float.

After that I have opened the m4a file in android smartphone power amp music player but it is showing as 16 bit.

Some of the sites like Hydrogen audio specified that fdkaac encoder cannot convert to m4a greater than 16 bit.

May I know how to use fdkaac to encode at 24 bit float or 32 bit float.

There is another profile for aac called xheaac but I think that there is no support for it in dbpoweramp.

I am providing screen shot of power amp as attachment below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

m4a aac is bit depth independent when decoding, if a player is showing 16 bit, it means nothing, as it can be decoded to any bit depth (24, 32). Or put another way if you encoded 8 bit, 16, and 32 bit to aac, they would all appear the same to the player. AAC does not have a fixed decoding bit depth, that is why it is normally decoded as 16 bit.