title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Configuring AccurateRip question

Configuring AccurateRip question

Hi all, I am trying out dbpoweramp (trial version) as it seems to be the easiest thing to make the ripping process relatively easy and painless. I have a question on Configuring AccurateRip.

In the setup guide it says "Before AccurateRip can be used it must find your drives read offset. To do so insert a popular CD, if the CD can be used AccurateRip will offer to find the offset..."

Now in the settings under "CD ROM" my drive has an offset entry of +6 even though I have not had that message above pop up upon inserting a popular CD. Does this mean AccurateRip is setup properly ?

Also I've now tried many "Popular" CDs that I have, and none cause that AccurateRip setup to kick off, anyone suggest a few CD's that should kick off AccurateRip setup ?

Just a bit confused about all this but want to make sure its setup as best it can be before embarking on the job of ripping all my CDs

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Configuring AccurateRip question

It sounds like AccurateRip is all setup correctly. Just rip a CD from your collection and if AccurateRip reports success on all the tracks you are good to go. I believe an offset of +6 is very common among drives.

Okay thanks... If I do a rip then AccurateRip says its good with a number of 200 (on Brothers in Arms for instance) which I believe is the highest(or best) result you can get (but I might be wrong on that) - so yes it sounds like its good to go

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes that is the confidence rating, where 200 is the highest / max reported number. However, even a confidence rating of 1 or 2 is fine and you will find on those more obscure CDs and pressings. Are you using a Mac or PC by the way?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTP View Post
    Yes that is the confidence rating, where 200 is the highest / max reported number. However, even a confidence rating of 1 or 2 is fine and you will find on those more obscure CDs and pressings. Are you using a Mac or PC by the way?
    yep, assuming you are not matching to your own prior rip, even an AR match of 1 is extremely strong evidence of a bit perfect rip. Think about it. Your digital rip exactly matches that of another person, using a different copy of the CD, on a different computer. That is why the AR numbers are not to be interpreted as a quality measure. A 200 is not more perfect than a 3. They are more a measure of how popular that particular CD title (and pressing) is among rippers.

Okay thanks for the comments... I've been playing around ripping various CD's and all report perfect rips with high matching rips so it would seem all is good to go...

Out of interest, does anyone know if my situation is because my CD drive is a "known drive" so its offset has been filled in automatically? [I'm just finding it strange that I haven't had to insert any Key CDs (or whatever you call them) so the drives offset can be worked out.]

If this is the case some amendment to the guide to reflect this would be helpful.

dBpoweramp Guru

Which OS is running? Windows or Mac OS?

Dat Ei

Windows 10, latest version of dbpoweramp (trial version at present)

Administrator

Windows requires one matching known disc to generate the offset, OSX it works off drive name.

Okay, it's a bit strange that the offset has been set up without going through the process in the setup guide after inserting a key disc. (Depends what you mean by "one matching known disc"
    Its giving the impression all is well and its setup for accuraterip , I'm just not sure how, given what the setup guide says...