title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Benefit Of Hindsight (Maybe)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Benefit Of Hindsight (Maybe)

I starting re-ripping my whole collection again since February 2020 and I am still going. Previous rips were done using .WMA Lossless in Windows Media Player over the last decade.

Anyway, I did some recent testing and discovered that although my original rips were lossless, the sample offset was -6 out. This means AccurateRip cannot verify any of the files. I discovered today that CUETools can correct the sample offset on these files with the required offset, in my case a +6. I tried this out and followed up with a bit comparison and got a 100% match with a new rip from CD Ripper and hence now matches in AccurateRip!

Part of me feels I could of saved a lot of time just correcting the offset and converting, but I am telling myself it was still worth the time re-ripping. Aside from contributing to AccurateRip (with some new, or 1 confidence rarities as well), those AccurateRip tags are nice to have in the files, and there is an odd satisfaction in perfecting the tags and organising things just so with .FLAC and Vorbis. Also, the vast amount of learning and knowledge gained has been invaluable. Using dbPowerAmp got me moving to foobar2000 from Windows Media Player and that can only be a good thing considering what the latter program can do to your metadata.

I still have the old ripped files somewhere so it would be interesting to see just how good Windows Media Player was at ripping (with error correction) on all those CDs and get a percentage failure rate (if any).
    Last edited by BOOTP; 12-28-2021 at 04:33 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Benefit Of Hindsight (Maybe)

All good points!