title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

My drive - DBPA says NO, EAC says YES. - and possible bugs.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krafty
    • Dec 2021

My drive - DBPA says NO, EAC says YES. - and possible bugs.

Hi folks!

Here to come with some findings.

My drive is a iHAS122.
    In dBpoweramp, it says it detects no caching audio. I tested 5 discs, same result.
    The C2 error correction is also detected, but if I tick this box, the ripping is infinite (drive reads from time to time, lights on and off), spinning very slowly.
    I did the marker CD test and it detected as having C2 supported. The same result with a brand new CD as well.

But in EAC it shows that the drive does cache audio.
    Could it be that EAC's engine is a little bit out-dated? Because it doesn't even report 0 kB of caching. It just says "Yes."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_39.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	297680

Name:	Screenshot_40.png
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	297681

Name:	Screenshot_41.png
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	297682

Name:	Screenshot_37.png
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	297683

Name:	Screenshot_38.png
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	297684

I think I got 3 bugs as well:
    If you select Disallow Multi-Styles and Force no date on year - it won't work. Metadata will still fetch complete date and various styles (2 bugs?)
    And lastly, not really a bug, but more of a filesystem/character problem... as default you have the ? character being replaced by the inverted interrogation mark (¿). If a track, like "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" has a name like this, dBpoweramp will not encode the track because the bogus interrogation mark (a file system issue). All I could workaround this was to replace ? for underscore.

With some reading through threads here, looks my drive does not handle C2 very well. However, this cache thing is a mistery, isn't it?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: My drive - DBPA says NO, EAC says YES. - and possible bugs.

The safe option is to leave cache audio enabled.

> All I could workaround this was to replace ? for underscore.

Did you change the default naming? as '?' should automatically be removed from the filename.

The force no date, you would have to refetch from the internet with refresh button, if reading existing then will not remove.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krafty
      • Dec 2021

Ok, thanks. I think it got it to none, was it 1024kb as default, right?

In the technical specs of the drive, it shows:

Buffer: 512 kb.

Name:	Screenshot_42.png
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	294493

Anything to do with it? I mean... 1024kb is the safe bet then in this setting, like the manual says.

I changed the ? to _. As default, the behaviour here was erratic. I think I'm going to try and reproduce it later.
      As default it tries to replace it, not remove it. So it is like this in here:

Name:	Screenshot_43.png
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	294494

Ok, about the force date thing and styles, I will keep an eye on this.

------

One last question - I'm a bit confused with the detail level of log.
      I tried the three different but all come as the same.
      The 'detailed' is the intermediary between simple and complete, right? Because detailed and complete are almost synonymous.

And when I tick "Very Written Audio", I see that it gets Passed. But this information does not go into the log.
      Am I missing something?

Thanks again. And thanks for this great program, Spoon.

Comment

• krafty
        • Dec 2021

I think I found the answer for the "Audio File Passed Verification" not being included in the log -- the explanation that it was not intended for storage (link).

As for the cache, I think you were right when you wrote the manual. When it was turned on, it would re-read a difficult frame quite fast (setting = none). When I put 1024 KB, the same sector, the frames were very slowly ripped. I guess this was then, the defeating cache operation. (15 minutes to re-rip 517 frames, against 5 seconds to when cache is set to none).

I noticed that the tag ENCODEDBY does not get written in ALAC, but it does in FLAC. Is this normal?

Thanks again.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

1024 kb is best

Complete is has the most detail, you would only see the difference when the drive is re-reading a bad section of a disc.

ALAC has no storage for Encodeby
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krafty
            • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Spoon
            1024 kb is best

Complete is has the most detail, you would only see the difference when the drive is re-reading a bad section of a disc.

ALAC has no storage for Encodeby
            Thanks, that's why I see no difference in the rips - my CDs are pretty much mirrors.

Actually, it does store ENCODED BY tag and it is visible in iTunes (I found out by accident here, fussing)
            It's just foobar2000 that doesn't catch it, somehow.

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	294496

Comment

Working...

]]>