title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hard Disk Activity Light When Ripping to a RAM Drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VikingByNature
    • Dec 2021

Hard Disk Activity Light When Ripping to a RAM Drive

Dear Support,

I recently purchased the Reference version of Music Converter and, for the CD Ripper, set the both the Temporary Folder as well as the final destination for ripped music to directories on my Z: drive, which on my system is an 8GB RAM drive (provided by a 3rd-party driver) that uses 1/4 of my 32GB total physical RAM on my system.

However I noticed that when I start ripping a music CD, the hard drive activity light comes on as if data is being cached to my hard disk instead of the RAM drive, which is entirely in the Windows non-paged memory pool.

Can you please confirm if the hard disk would still be used for caching data OR is it just the SCSI controller that causes the hard disk activity light to activate?

I am a bit concerned as caching to a hard disk would not only create a bottleneck, but would also increase wear and tear if cached to an SSD.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

-=VbN=-
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Hard Disk Activity Light When Ripping to a RAM Drive

Could it be the CD drive activity?

Dat Ei

Comment

• VikingByNature
      • Dec 2021

I don't know. That is why I was asking the group. Normally the hard drive activity light does not come on unless it is copying a file from the CD drive to the hard drive.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Reading from a CD will put the hdd light on.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
          Reading from a CD will put the hdd light on.
          As long as the CD drive is connected to the same controller / mainboard that is connected to the activity led of the case... Things we don't know in this concrete case. That's why my answer has been very vague...

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>