title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC?

Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC?

Hi there!

I initially posted this question over Hydrogenaudio, then I thought here would be the appropriate place.

I was just trying dBpoweramp and I really liked the software. I liked that it can embed the indicated image file into the FLAC. I'm considering this program to replace EAC, which is still cool but its crafty settings make me go nuts sometimes - one mistake and you're done. Anyways, I'm really impressed with the CD Ripper. It didn't even need to detect gaps or have an option to place gaps to some determined position (I guess it does this automatically?).

I have some questions though...

a) How do I tell the program not to resize a 2000 pixel image down to 1000 pixels? I want the original pictures inserted into FLAC.

b) In the case of embedding art, I don't need that Folder.jpg, so can I turn it off somehow?

c) Does the art get embedded in the WAV to FLAC encoding process or does the art get embedded upon another FLAC re-write?

d) How do I get a similar log file as I get in EAC? (Because this is kind of a nostalgia thing when everyone told you should have had a log file... Though now I see that I might not need one and there is a lot of tag information inserted by dBpoweramp - is EAC old fashioned in that matter, specially when I do not intend to recreate any CD...?)

e) How do I create a cue sheet the same fashion EAC does? - (non-compliant, tracks) (I know I won't ever use it, because never recreate any CD. If a CD gets ruined I just get another copy and once it's ripped, that's it. -- just wanted to know if this was by design, not producing cue sheets).

f) As I understood, the program rips the CD in Burst Mode automatically and then if it encounters a problem, it will rip in Secure Mode, is that correct? If this is so, I'm good to go because mostly of my CDs are pristine.

g) Back to the cue sheets and gaps, I take that the whole hassle of cue sheets making and detecting gaps (sometimes EAC takes a whole lot of time to detect them) has to do with the creation of the cue sheet and not the ripping itself - both EAC and dBpoweramp rip the tracks with default settings as appending gaps to the previous track. Is this correct?

h) Sorry for the last lame question... but is there any chance this program gets a Linux version? Does it run on WINE?

Man, this even pulls the CD catalogue number... :-) Who will not fall in love with this?

Thank you.
    Last edited by krafty; 12-05-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Re: Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC?

Hi friends,

I actually found by myself a couple of the answers, so I'm writing down to whomever it may concern:

a) How do I tell the program not to resize a 2000 pixel image down to 1000 pixels? I want the original pictures inserted into FLAC.
    I found the setting in Menu > CD Ripper Options > Album Art.
    There you can set a size like 3000 pixels. That way, it won't touch the file or resize it. You can also determine the maximum size for the file to be. I take that everything that is over the size you set, it gets somehow to that ceiling but with the same resolution (think of a JPEG being saved with a little bit of less quality).

b) In the case of embedding art, I don't need that Folder.jpg, so can I turn it off somehow?
    This one was right after the first question. You turn the setting to (none) and it will not save any Folder.jpg in the folder.

c) Does the art get embedded in the WAV to FLAC encoding process or does the art get embedded upon another FLAC re-write?
    I supposed that by the speed it converts, it manages to use the option --picture=FILENAME right away. Otherwise, this re-writing FLAC would have no padding left (and it does) and certainly it is not the case. I'm happy with this.

d) How do I get a similar log file as I get in EAC? (Because this is kind of a nostalgia thing when everyone told you should have had a log file... Though now I see that I might not need one and there is a lot of tag information inserted by dBpoweramp - is EAC old fashioned in that matter, specially when I do not intend to recreate any CD...?)
    Actually, there is the log file that you can write. It's a bit different from EAC and only gets written with the Secure Mode settings. In those settings we have Secure Extraction Log, and you can tick the write to file. It's quite pleasant. I liked this.

e) How do I create a cue sheet the same fashion EAC does? - (non-compliant, tracks) (I know I won't ever use it, because never recreate any CD. If a CD gets ruined I just get another copy and once it's ripped, that's it. -- just wanted to know if this was by design, not producing cue sheets).
    I'm gonna try to answers this question myself. The program is designed not to be like EAC which is intended to possibly recreate a ruined CD. But what's the point nowadays? I don't burn CD-Rs anymore. If I will listen to the CD, I will just rip it and listen to the tracks in my computer or mobile device, or even Apple TV 4K for that matter. Writing backup CDs is kind of obsolete as they may not be even readable after 10 years. To someone who is just interested in having the original and a rip of it, a cue sheet does not really matter - and if I really want one, I just could just EAC, detect gaps and extract the cue sheet just for the sake of having one.

I think my only doubt here is if dBpoweramp does create a non-compliant cue sheet or whether it wasn't design for this at all.

f) As I understood, the program rips the CD in Burst Mode automatically and then if it encounters a problem, it will rip in Secure Mode, is that correct? If this is so, I'm good to go because mostly of my CDs are pristine.
    This one I figured out myself as well, and I am happy with the results. Even in Secure Mode, it will rip a first pass in Burst Mode. If your CDs are mint, then it gets Accurately Ripped. I think it will enter Secure Mode when it starts find really problematic CDs. This was genius, Spoon!

g) Back to the cue sheets and gaps, I take that the whole hassle of cue sheets making and detecting gaps (sometimes EAC takes a whole lot of time to detect them) has to do with the creation of the cue sheet and not the ripping itself - both EAC and dBpoweramp rip the tracks with default settings as appending gaps to the previous track. Is this correct?
    I will just need the confirmation on this one. Whether detecting gaps is just a cue sheet creation thing. Does dBpoweramp detects those gaps silently and transparent to the user?

h) Sorry for the last lame question... but is there any chance this program gets a Linux version? Does it run on WINE?
    Yes, I know this was a bit of a lame question. But if one part ways with Microsoft, how can one still benefit of a purchased application? Any hopes? Thanks.

Man, this even pulls the CD catalogue number... :-) Who will not fall in love with this?

Thank you.
    Last edited by krafty; 12-06-2021 at 02:37 AM.

Administrator

See:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Utility-Codec

Gaps are standard across all rippers by default, unless you specifically do something to remove them.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If you want them, I would still use EAC for generating non-compliant .CUE files. This will enable an exact replica of the original CD to be burnt if needed. dBpoweramp will not produce the equivalent of a non-compliant .CUE file.
    Last edited by BOOTP; 12-06-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    See:

Gaps are standard across all rippers by default, unless you specifically do something to remove them.

Hi there!

Thanks for your answer. Oh my God, I read that thread. I can't believe that there are people demanding for this HTOA in a very freaky way! LOL. Anyways, like I said, in 15 years doing this stuff, I never got to 'recreate' a CD to a CD-R and nowadays I really don't see a point in having an exact replica since I play the files, not the CD. If I have a CD that is scratched, I will just buy another copy. My thing is to have the CD and have a digital library for devices to play, that's it.

I agree about the uselessness of HTOA. I have a couple of 1980-1990 CDs that have this HTOA, but upon inspection, it's only silence and it's 0.44 seconds long mostly. I did open a couple of them in audio editor and there is not even one fraction of audio, so I don't know why people bitch about this so much. I read that some very selected CDs do have the audio in this HTOA, but I don't seem to have any of those.

Thanks again.

If you want them, I would still use EAC for generating non-compliant .CUE files. This will enable an exact replica of the original CD to be burnt if needed. dBpoweramp will not produce the equivalent of a non-compliant .CUE file.
    Hi. Right, like I said before, I won't ever use it. But just one thing that got me wondering that was not entirely clear: dBpoweramp will not produce the equivalent of a non-compliant .CUE file as it is, or, the Codec above mentioned indeed produces this cue sheet?

One last question is about m3u8 files. EAC creates them upon ripping. Can DBPA do this as well? Sorry for this "but EAC does this" thing. I know it's annoying. I'm just checking it out everything I can before I become a new customer :-)

Thanks again.

Test. I think I posted a reply here and it didn't show up.
    Update: Now it did. But it didn't do in the morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    See:

Hi there!

Thanks for your answer. Oh my God, I read that thread. I can't believe that there are people demanding for this HTOA in a very freaky way! LOL. Anyways, like I said, in 15 years doing this stuff, I never got to 'recreate' a CD to a CD-R and nowadays I really don't see a point in having an exact replica since I play the files, not the CD. If I have a CD that is scratched, I will just buy another copy. My thing is to have the CD and have a digital library for devices to play, that's it.

I agree about the uselessness of HTOA. I have a couple of 1980-1990 CDs that have this HTOA, but upon inspection, it's only silence and it's 0.44 seconds long mostly. I did open a couple of them in audio editor and there is not even one fraction of audio, so I don't know why people bitch about this so much. I read that some very selected CDs do have the audio in this HTOA, but I don't seem to have any of those.

Thanks again.

Hi. Right, like I said before, I won't ever use it. But just one thing that got me wondering that was not entirely clear: dBpoweramp will not produce the equivalent of a non-compliant .CUE file as it is, or, the Codec above mentioned indeed produces this cue sheet?

One last question is about m3u8 files. EAC creates them upon ripping. Can DBPA do this as well? Sorry for this "but EAC does this" thing. I know it's annoying. I'm just checking it out everything I can before I become a new customer :-)

Thanks again.

Spoon

See:

Hi there!

I agree about the uselessness of HTOA. I have a couple of 1980-1990 CDs that have this HTOA, but upon inspection, it's only silence and it's 0.44 seconds long mostly. I did open a couple of them in audio editor and there is not even one fraction of audio, so I don't know why people *complain* about this so much. Completists, maybe? I read that some very selected CDs do have the audio in this HTOA, but I don't seem to have any of those.

Thanks again.

BOOTP:

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by krafty; 12-06-2021 at 02:24 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by krafty View Post

Thanks again.
    Yes, there is a "playlist writer" DSP that can be used in conjunction with the CD Ripper (or converter).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by krafty View Post
    That is correct. A while back I compared production of a .CUE file with a few CDs with dBpoweramp vs. EAC and the results were quite different with the EAC .CUE containing more information and being more accurate (at least, according to my brief investigation), but given it is non-compliant you cannot use it with software outside of EAC.

Anyhow, as you have stated you do not need them so it does not matter. The only reason I am still using them is because my 90s car has a CD player and I like to burn exact copies of the CDs without accessing the original collection.
    Last edited by BOOTP; 12-08-2021 at 06:42 PM.