title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset as a DNLA server?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Asset as a DNLA server?

Huge question - is it possible to use Asset as a DNLA server rather than UPnP?

I ask because there are certain compatibility issues between Asset and some local software products (e.g. HEOS) and UPnP is generally considered a security risk and many experts suggest disabling it in routers...

Administrator

Re: Asset as a DNLA server?

Asset is a dlna server, it passes the dlna tests back in the day. Dlna is dead these days.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Does that mean if I disable UPnP that Asset will still work?

Administrator

No, UPnP and DLNA are the same.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Doesn't UPnP security depend very much on the broadband hub (router) security & port forwarding setup ????
    Im happy to have security confidence in a well designed & firmware supported router - BT SH2
    Ive run ShieldsUp test on my IP Address & it reports that my router did not respond to UPnP probes.

Plus the malware crooks don't need UPnP to get into your system.
    Last edited by Mike-B; 12-06-2021 at 05:57 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I believe the Internet Gateway Device Protocol is implemented via UPnP (just like DLNA is), and it's this that is recommended to be turned off in routers as it allows devices/software to set up port forwarding rules.
    If routers have a UPnP setting surely this relates to the IGD protocol and not the UPnP discovery/control methods that are used with our DLNA/UPnP servers - unless of course it differentiates between the two?
    Disable it if you have the option and make sure everything is working as expected.

Care to elaborate on the "compatibility issues between Asset and some local software products (e.g. HEOS)".