title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: AccurateRip database update

dBpoweramp Guru

AccurateRip database update

Hi @Spoon,

I was just wondering when we can expect an update of the AccurateRip database? I have a handful of discs now that don't exist there and can see on the web site that it was last updated in October.

To be honest, had I not searched to see if it had been abandoned I wouldn't have realised it was you that maintained it, so many thanks for that, it's invaluable!

Administrator

Re: AccurateRip database update

It is being updated as we speak.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've just seen this update so thanks for that.

Do you have any stats about submissions over time? I think we all know CD purchases have dropped significantly over the years, but it would be interesting to see how submissions have fared, as AccurateRip is obviously heavily dependant.

Also, is there any way to support the maintenance of AccurateRip, or is the only way to purchase one of illustrate's products?

Administrator

We do not track that, however those who rip lossless tend not to listen to spotify as their main source.

Your last question was correct.

dBpoweramp Guru

It's not clear to me how good the ripping statistics would map into CD purchases. For example, in 2020, I ripped about 1,000 CDs (finally finishing my main ripping task of over 5,000 CDs). But all of these CDs were purchased over the last 20+ years, most more than 15 years ago, so the 1,000 new rips is NOT equal to CD purchases in 2020.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just wondering does the update take a very long time given the size of the database?

I am asking as I have submitted a number of entries in the last few months and was using the PerfectTunes AccurateRip scan and resultant log to see when and if the AccurateRip values update, but nothing changed yet. I picked very obscure CDs with only a 1 or 2 confidence value.

Administrator

The database was updated.

Have you ever ripped using a virtual cd drive?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The database was updated.

Have you ever ripped using a virtual cd drive?
    I have checked some more logs (recent) and found CDs I ripped that have gone from a confidence of 1 to 2 so that's good.

However, some have remained the same which is what prompted my original question. I was wondering if this is due to the limited scope of the PerfectTunes AccurateRip log? There appears to be no cross-pressing information so I was thinking the confidence value appears the same (even though my results are successfully submitted) because I have a different pressing with a lower confidence interval, and PerfectTunes does not display this level of detail?

I do have a virtual drive but it has never (and nor will be) configured with AccurateRip.

Administrator

If you had a different pressing, your submission would not appear in the database until verified by another person.

Tangentially related, I think.

I purchased a 3 disc set of the Traveling Wilburys Collection, One disc was a DVD,and the other two were CD's - volume 1 and volume 3. Two problems with those two cd rips:

1. each song shows as 24 bit depth. Not sure why, and can't seem to edit that (tag?). I have a playlist that is HiRes only (24 bit depth), and of course these two cd's now show up in the playlist. FWIW - the dac isn't fooled and plays both cd's as 16 bit.

2. Both cd's were apparently in the AccurateRip database, and cd ripper confirmed prior to ripping. It also confirmed at completion that each disc ripped with an AccurateRip confirm. Yet, when I run perfect tunes, each of those discs show 4 tracks as not confirming for AccurateRip. It was the same numbered tracks on each cd (not ame songs, of course), though not sure that is relevant.

I would like to (1) edit the bit depth tag to reflect 16 bit. How can I do that? I would also (2) like to know why a cd shows as AccurateRip confirmed by CD ripper, but perfect tunes shows 4 of the tracks as not confirming.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by pierrepfeffer; 12-23-2021 at 04:12 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pierrepfeffer View Post
    Tangentially related, I think.

I purchased a 3 disc set of the Traveling Wilburys Collection, One disc was a DVD,and the other two were CD's - volume 1 and volume 3. Two problems with those two cd rips:

1. each song shows as 24 bit depth. Not sure why, and can't seem to edit that (tag?). I have a playlist that is HiRes only (24 bit depth), and of course these two cd's now show up in the playlist. FWIW - the dac isn't fooled and plays both cd's as 16 bit.

2. Both cd's were apparently in the AccurateRip database, and cd ripper confirmed prior to ripping. It also confirmed at completion that each disc ripped with an AccurateRip confirm. Yet, when I run perfect tunes, each of those discs show 4 tracks as not confirming for AccurateRip. It was the same numbered tracks on each cd (not ame songs, of course), though not sure that is relevant.

I would like to (1) edit the bit depth tag to reflect 16 bit. How can I do that? I would also (2) like to know why a cd shows as AccurateRip confirmed by CD ripper, but perfect tunes shows 4 of the tracks as not confirming.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Check,to see if these are HDCD encoded CDs, and if you AP have that DSP enabled. If so, these are saved as 24-bit files.

Thanks GB - that was the "problem." Turned off HDCD DSP, re-ripped ... and it reports 16 bit.

FWIW - I had all three versions of the rip on my LMS and, although the HDCD +6db and the HDCD regular both reported 24 bit, my dac treated all three versions of the rips as 16 bit. Not sure what HDCD DSP is doing, but it is't convincing my dac it's anything but 16 bit.

Thanks again. Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town for Christmas.