title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Attempting to Rip, dBpoweramp not retrieving metadata from CD

Attempting to Rip, dBpoweramp not retrieving metadata from CD

Hello,

I am relatively new (coming back to ripping cds after Years of just streaming). I own a lot of music by foreign artists so I am honestly not expecting the software to be able to pull metadata from databases all the time, however, it seems like I can't even get it to read the metadata embedded on the track themselves. Just for instance, I have a cd, Aha! by Pang. dBpoweramp absolutely has not metadata for it even when I tell it to retrieve metadata from cd-text or cd-ISRC. However this same cd shows all metadata in iTunes or VLC or similar apps that play audio cds. I just don't understand. Is there an option I am missing somewhere? I even tried manual search and again while I'm sure the info just isn't available on the databases it pulls from shouldn't it be able to pull the data from the cd itself if other apps can as well?

I am using the most recent version. Just bought it yesterday. I am working off a Mac if it matters.

edit: Just an edit to add that both cd-text and cd-ISRC are checked off as active providers.
    Last edited by Sanitea; 11-29-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Administrator

Re: Attempting to Rip, dBpoweramp not retrieving metadata from CD

Are you certain iTunes and VLC are reading the CD Text? if you disconnect the computer from the internet and insert a CD-Text disc, is should show the titles.

I will have to try that in future with another disk as I already went and entered all meta manually. I guess I just assumed that if VLC or iTunes were pulling data from somewhere else then that same data would be available to dbpoweramp. I supposed it's possible dbpoweramp just doesn't have the same amount of resources. That's a bummer as I have a lot CDs like that one that I am now dreading ripping. Thanks either way.

Administrator

If you have an old version of dBpoweramp then this applies:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...6-R15-R14-etc)

R17 is needed for full metadata retrieval.

dBpoweramp Guru

itunes uses a different source for metadata that is NOT available to dbpoweramp.