title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripper won't run

Ripper won't run

newly installed software on new PC using McAffee Live Safe. When I insert CD in the drive to rip The disk spins briefly then I get a prompt from autoplay to choose an action 1.)install or run program from your media, 2.) open folder to view files, 3.) take no action. The metadata never imports. The program simply won't run. Please help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripper won't run

Quote Originally Posted by pnemanic View Post
    newly installed software on new PC using McAffee Live Safe. When I insert CD in the drive to rip The disk spins briefly then I get a prompt from autoplay to choose an action 1.)install or run program from your media, 2.) open folder to view files, 3.) take no action. The metadata never imports. The program simply won't run. Please help.
    Everything you mention is what usually comes up from windows itself when you insert a disk. I would choose "take no action". (all of this has nothing to do with dbpoweramp.) Then I would start dbpoweramp for ripping. If you are saying dbpa starts ok, but doesn't find any metadata, that may be because McAfee is blocking the program from finding metadata.

on my old laptop using Norton I was happily ripping disks and then the problem started out of nowhere as described. I was about to replace my old Latitude with a new Inspiron (dedicated to my entertainment system ethernet wired to my digital music on a NAS and running Jriver media player). So this morning I fresh installed DBPA on the new machine and I have the exact same problem. Won't import metadata or rip when disc installed.

could I have accidentally disabled the CD drive within Windows? Note that the old CPC is running windows 10 and the new one Windows 11. I am so frustrated I am about to smash both laptops against a brick wall.

2 different laptops, 2 different versions of windows and both with the same issue. What am I doing wrong?

dBpoweramp Guru

could I have accidentally disabled the CD drive within Windows? Note that the old CPC is running windows 10 and the new one Windows 11. I am so frustrated I am about to smash both laptops against a brick wall.
    unlikely. smashing the computers won't help. I'm sure the problem is fixable, but first we need more information. Is dbpoweramp actually opening and reading the disk, but just not showing metadata? Or does dbpa not even start? This is not clear from your posts.

dBpoweramp Guru

what happens if you try to rip a cd with JRiver? If that works, it tells you that there is no problem with Windows recognizing and using your drive.

So the problem is/was that the disc in the stack I was ripping was not a CD, It was a bonus disc that came in a box set and had video and other crap on it. DBPA ripper is working just fine. This thread should be deleted from the forum.....but I don't know how to do that.

dBpoweramp Guru

So the problem is/was that the disc in the stack I was ripping was not a CD, It was a bonus disc that came in a box set and had video and other crap on it. DBPA ripper is working just fine. This thread should be deleted from the forum.....but I don't know how to do that.
    a happy ending. No need to delete. This is a good example for others who might need a reminder to check a disk for such things.