title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error when ripping

Question Error when ripping

Hello:

I'm trying to rip a cd which I know can be read. It will play in CD Ripper and in Foobar2000. I have used Foobar2000 to rip it. But when I try to rip it in dBpoweramp it "errors out." Here is the error message:

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\01 Matt Dillon - Title.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\01 Matt Dillon - Title._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\02 Matt Dillon - 1-1a I first met Dean.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\02 Matt Dillon - 1-1a I first met Dean._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 3' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\03 Matt Dillon - 1-1b Then came spring.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\03 Matt Dillon - 1-1b Then came spring._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 4' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\04 Matt Dillon - 1-2 In the month of July 1947.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\04 Matt Dillon - 1-2 In the month of July 1947._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 5' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\05 Matt Dillon - 1-3a It was an ordinary bus trip.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\05 Matt Dillon - 1-3a It was an ordinary bus trip._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 6' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\06 Matt Dillon - 1-3b But I had to get going.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\06 Matt Dillon - 1-3b But I had to get going._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 7' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\07 Matt Dillon - 1-3c We stopped along the road.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\07 Matt Dillon - 1-3c We stopped along the road._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 8' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\08 Matt Dillon - 1-4a The greatest ride in my life.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\08 Matt Dillon - 1-4a The greatest ride in my life._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 9' to 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\09 Matt Dillon - 1-4b Montana Slim turned to me.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\2_New to Upload\Jack Kerouac\On the Road, Disc 1\09 Matt Dillon - 1-4b Montana Slim turned to me._' for writing. [clEncoder_FLAC::BeginConversion]

I cannot help but think I must be missing something obvious. But I don't see it. Please advise. Thanks.

I'm using Release 17.4 [64-bit] on
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 21H2
    Installed on August 8, 2020
    OS build 19044.1348
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Error when ripping

Is e:\ a locale HDD? Can you create i.e. a text file on e:\?

Dat Ei

Re: Error when ripping

Whoa.
    Thank you for the question. The problem has suddenly become very clear.
    For reasons that may or may not have anything to do with CD Ripper, both the source drive (the optical CD reader/writer) and the hard drive to which the ripped files are to be written are E:\ drives. The program cannot read and write to the same place. Obvious.

But why?
    I think this may have to do with re-partitioning I have been doing on some external drives. None of those particular drives are now connected, but I'm wondering if there might be some kind of "hangover" from that. One of the E:\ drives shown in the error above is a USB HDD which is more or less permanently connected to my PC. (It was not re-partitioned.) I'm going to disconnect it, reboot, and hope that the problem disappears.

Meanwhile, resetting the 'Path' in CD Ripper to a non E:\ destination, seems to have been enough to get CD Ripper working again. I'm back in business. And, until proven otherwise, I'll assume that the problem's provenance is Windows' weirdness.

Thanks for your input.