title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Help With Hi-Res to Redbook Conversion and CD burning

Help With Hi-Res to Redbook Conversion and CD burning

Hello,

Newbie here. Trying to figure out which pieces of Illustrate software I need and was hoping to get this group's help. I still listen to CD's and think getting computer audio as good as a good CD transport + external DAC is really hard (expensive). That aside, and given that alot of music today is recorded in a HI-res format, I am trying to figure out the best way (best audio quality) in converting these hi-res files into redbook cd format and burning these files onto CD-Rs. I use MAC OS Big Sur. My questions are:

1. Which illustrate software do I need that will do the best job (best audio quality) in converting these HI-res formats into Redbook CD format (16 bit/44.1 KHZ WAV files)?

2. Which MAC based CD burning software do you recommend?

3. Any CD burners (hardware) that are known to be great burners? (I've been told not all burners are equal)

Thank you and appreciate any help/advice.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Help With Hi-Res to Redbook Conversion and CD burning

I wouldn't waste the time converting and burning. If you don't want to look at connecting an external DAC to your MAC and wish to use your CD players' DAC, I suggest you buy the CDs.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by longinc@gmail.c View Post
    Hello,
    I still listen to CD's and think getting computer audio as good as a good CD transport + external DAC is really hard (expensive).
    I respectfully disagree with this statement. In 2021 it is extremely easy to get great digital streaming without playing CDs. That same DAC you are connecting to your CD transport can instead be connected to your Mac, or a network streamer > DAC > Stereo. Lots of good choices on network streaming of your own music (LMS, Roon, Asset, etc.). And lots of good choices for DACs from very inexepensive to very expensive. Lots of reviews out there for these.

Sorry, I can't provide any advise on burning CDs. I've spent the last decade ripping CDs to FLAC and haven't had any use for burning CDs.

dBpoweramp Guru

Answering your question about conversion, you would CONVERT (using dbpoweramp converter) your hi-res files to 16/44.1 (redbook) by adding two DSPs to your conversion chain.

Bit Depth DSP set to 16 bit (settings to use Dither, "TPDF" (triangle)
    Resample DSP set to 44.1KHz

The resulting digital files will be 16/44.1 and can then be burned to a CD-R. (to be clear, I'm still not in favor of this, but to each their own).

p.s. most digital downloads that I see available in 24/96 or 24/192 are almost always available in 16/44.1 versions. If you're only going to downconvert the hi-res files, I'd recommend purchasing the 16/44.1 files to begin with.
    Last edited by garym; 11-21-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Answering your question about conversion, you would CONVERT (using dbpoweramp converter) your hi-res files to 16/44.1 (redbook) by adding two DSPs to your conversion chain.

The resulting digital files will be 16/44.1 and can then be burned to a CD-R. (to be clear, I'm still not in favor of this, but to each their own).

p.s. most digital downloads that I see available in 24/96 or 24/192 are almost always available in 16/44.1 versions. If you're only going to downconvert the hi-res files, I'd recommend purchasing the 16/44.1 files to begin with.

Thank you @garym , this is super helpful information. very much appreciated. Regarding your point about playing CD's versus streaming off a computer/network : I don't use the DAC in my CD player (the player is primarily used as a transport to read the bits off the CD). I do use an external DAC. And I also use the SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo streamer. I currently use streaming to explore music and play CD's for critical listening (and for my favorite music). When I compared the CD transport vs the streamer, I was floored at how good the CD transport is (the DAC used is the same in both cases, and I am using pretty good USB and SPDIF cables so neither was handicapped by low quality cables). I think to get streaming to be as good, one would need to spend significant $'s on network and USB treatments, pricey linear power supplies etc (if you follow the Audiophilstyle forum you will know what I am referring to). Don't get me wrong, the streamer sounds very good if you not comparing it to the CD transport, but once you hear the difference, you can't "unhear" it. And, to be clear, I do want computer audio to win out, it's so much more convenient. But for $/sound quality, at present, to my ears, the CD transport does better.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post

Thank you @garym super helpful information. Very much appreciate your help. With regards to your points about CD transport vs computer audio - I do use an external DAC. I am only using my CD player as a transport (to read off the bits) - i don't use the internal DAC. And I also use the SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo for streaming duties. Both setups use the same external DAC. In both cases I am using equally good USB and SPDIF cables (so one is not handicapped by the cable used) And I was floored by how good the CD transport sounds. These days i use the streamer for music exploration, and CD transport for critical listening. If you have a good CD transport (like the Jay's Audio CDT2-MK3) and a good DAC, it is hard for computer audio to sound that good (without spending a fair amount of $'s on ethernet and USB signal treatments, and pricey linear power supplies). Don't get me wrong, the streamer sounds very good, but when you compare them side by side, the CD transport sounds much better, and it's hard to "unhear" the difference. Also, I do want computer audio to "be better" in this race because its so much more convenient, but at present, and to my ears, $/sound quality is better on the CD transport.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by longinc@gmail.c View Post
    If you have a good CD transport (like the Jay's Audio CDT2-MK3) and a good DAC, it is hard for computer audio to sound that good (without spending a fair amount of $'s on ethernet and USB signal treatments, and pricey linear power supplies).
    This is simply not true.

Regarding conversion of 24-bit, 96/192kHz to 16-bit, 44.1kHz, I doubt there is any software that will give you better sounding audio than the professionally mastered audio CD.