title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Determining audio CD pressing offset

Question Determining audio CD pressing offset

Is there any way to exactly determine the pressing offset of an audio cd? I use CueTools to compare tracks to AccurateRip, and I had thought the offset numbers in the logs there were what I was looking for, but I'm starting to understand that those numbers might only be the offset relative to other discs and not a precise metric like the drive offset? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Checking logs from dbPoweramp's PerfectTunes also gives entirely different pressing offset numbers...

I'm also wondering if there's any good way to determine pressing offset without relying on the AR database at all. Thanks for any help on this. Just forewarning though, I'm still very much a learner to all of this stuff, so beginner-friendly language would be great and very much appreciated. =)

Re: Determining audio CD pressing offset

Some slight refinement to my question here: You always see AR log entries with verifications using offsets from all over the place (-6, -92, +202, etc), all for the same track(s). So how does AccurateRip decide which alignment of the data is the 0 offset? Is it simply the first pressing of that album that was submitted to the database that becomes the center position by which all other offsets are measured? And on a related topic, how was the 0 offset for the drive offset database determined? Thank you again for your time.

[Edit: Forget the part in the first post about PerfectTunes indicating different pressing offsets. That was incorrect; I read the logs wrong.]
    Last edited by Intothisworld; 11-04-2021 at 05:37 AM.

Administrator

The shown pressing offset is relative to your disc you are ripping, the drive offsets are all constant when using accuraterip.

Okay, that's good. Thank you for the clarification. One more question though... I ran some alternate pressings of an album through PerfectTunes (no current disc ripping, just general results from FLACs for discs I had already ripped) and got a few different offset numbers (I condensed the results for the image). So my question is, how did AR decide that that first pressing should be the +0 offset reference for the other two offsets to be added/subtracted from?

2021-11-04 16_57_52-__AR23ED.tmp - Notepad.png
    Last edited by Intothisworld; 11-04-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Administrator

Offset 0 is the one you have ripped, your own discs will always be offset 0.