title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Accidental eject makes fake rips?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wallewek
    • Sep 2021

Accidental eject makes fake rips?

I've been ripping several hundred CDs on three different drives simultaneously, and sometimes I accidentally manually eject a cd that is still in the middle of being ripped.

What I've noticed, when this happens, is a very confusing behaviour wherein CD Ripper, after it ejects that CD, displays a track list that looks like it ripped all tracks successfully, even though it couldn't have. The only way I've found to confirm what has actually ripped is to look at the files on disk. The ones that were missed are short.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to deal with this?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Accidental eject makes fake rips?

Originally posted by wallewek
    I've been ripping several hundred CDs on three different drives simultaneously, and sometimes I accidentally manually eject a cd that is still in the middle of being ripped.

What I've noticed, when this happens, is a very confusing behaviour wherein CD Ripper, after it ejects that CD, displays a track list that looks like it ripped all tracks successfully, even though it couldn't have. The only way I've found to confirm what has actually ripped is to look at the files on disk. The ones that were missed are short.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to deal with this?
    Does the track list when you do this unintentional eject show each track as either secure or AccruateRip matched? Also, are you creating a complete ripping log when you rip (saved in the album subdirectory). It would show the secure/AR info as well.

Comment

• wallewek
      • Sep 2021

Originally posted by garym
      Does the track list when you do this unintentional eject show each track as either secure or AccruateRip matched? Also, are you creating a complete ripping log when you rip (saved in the album subdirectory). It would show the secure/AR info as well.
      Thanks for responding, garym.
      The displayed track list at the end of the rip looks "Accurate", totally identical for the missed rips. There's no sign they were skipped. Sure looks like a bug to me.
      I wasn't creating a ripping log, I'll try that now. Not sure how that gets along with multi-encoder mode, I guess I'll see.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Thanks for responding, garym.
        The displayed track list at the end of the rip looks "Accurate", totally identical for the missed rips. There's no sign they were skipped. Sure looks like a bug to me.
        I wasn't creating a ripping log, I'll try that now. Not sure how that gets along with multi-encoder mode, I guess I'll see.

yes, a ripping log (complete option) is always a good idea.

Comment

• wallewek
          • Sep 2021

Yes, that would have been a great default. Unfortunately, as best I can tell, CD Ripper does not attach any rip in formation whatsoever to the individual track files.

Another related thing I'm finding a bit of a nuisance is that putting in a CD that's been ripped already -- e.g., if a drive was sitting open with the ejected CD after a clean rip, timed out and pulled the tray back in -- shows the rip status of all tracks quite nicely. But it shows the Rip button, and if you click on it (when running multiple drives, that can easily happen), realize that it's already been ripped just fine and click Cancel, all the previously displayed rip status info disappears.

If you wanted to just re-rip one of those tracks, you can no longer tell which one had the error. If it weren't for the CRC and size info, you'd almost think it hadn't ben ripped yet.
          Last edited by wallewek; 10-26-2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Yes, that would have been a great default. Unfortunately, as best I can tell, CD Ripper does not attach any rip in formation whatsoever to the individual track files.
            track level detailed rip info, if that's what you're referring to, is listed in the rip log (which shows up as a single txt file in the album folder). Regarding the other issues, I can't really say. I've ripped 5 or 6 thousand CDs and didn't have these various issues. But I did them one CD at a time (not multiple rips going simultaneously). Certainly seems that one must pay extra close attention to what's happening when doing multiple rips. Maybe others that do this sort of thing can chime in with suggestions.

Comment

• wallewek
              • Sep 2021

Originally posted by garym
              I've ripped 5 or 6 thousand CDs and didn't have these various issues. But I did them one CD at a time (not multiple rips going simultaneously). Certainly seems that one must pay extra close attention to what's happening when doing multiple rips.
              I think you're right. Running two or three drives simultaneously definitely requires attention and invites muck-ups. What can I say, I don't have the patience to sit waiting for single drives. With multiples, it can be challenging.

I looked at the batch converter, it didn't seem right for what I'm doing.

If you're interested, I did a quick check using PowerShell "dir -directory -name -recurse | Measure-Object". It said I've ripped about 800 CDs so far.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

I think you're right. Running two or three drives simultaneously definitely requires attention and invites muck-ups. What can I say, I don't have the patience to sit waiting for single drives. With multiples, it can be challenging.

I looked at the batch converter, it didn't seem right for what I'm doing.

If you're interested, I did a quick check using PowerShell "dir -directory -name -recurse | Measure-Object". It said I've ripped about 800 CDs so far.

That's good progress. Even with some screw-ups you're making good time and can fix those few things later. Or....you may find after you rip 1000s of disks, that you have to basically go back and edit the metadata of most rips as the automatic metadata process didn't give you exactly what you want (genres, consistent artist names, etc.). That's why I liked one at a time. I could focus on the metadata at ripping time, and make sure it was what I wanted. Of course even then, I ended up with some post rip metadata editing. Have fun!

Comment

Working...

]]>