title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Rip (HDCD-)Dolby-Surround-CD to 5.1-flac?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rip (HDCD-)Dolby-Surround-CD to 5.1-flac?

Dear dbPoweramp team und forum users,

I have one HDCD-encoded Dolby Surround CD and one Dolby Surround CD without HDCD (not SACD´s, DVD-Audio´s or similar), a very rare format. I can't find a current way to decode and convert it to a 5.1 flac (ideally as low-loss to lossless as possible). Is it possible with dBPoweramp? If yes, how and if no, any idea?

Thanks and best regards

Saitenschwinger
    Last edited by Saitenschwinger; 10-22-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Administrator

Re: Rip (HDCD-)Dolby-Surround-CD to 5.1-flac?

What do you have which can play that disc in 5.1?

Good Question, thank You. To play Oppo-BDP 93 EU Nuforce Extreme Edition Multiplayer via the ditigal output into an AV receiver with Dolby Surround decoder.

But I have a long time ago already digitized a Dolby Surround CD with the help of the computer drive to (real) 5.1-flac. But I don't know how I did it and I can't find anything about it on the web now. The last entry I could find was too long ago: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/...-2-DTS-CD-AC3/.

Here part 2. Is german, but can be translated with deepl.

But with this I do not succeed.

Administrator

The disc does not make any sense to me, HDCD will decode in a format that is not Dolby AC3 and Dolby AC3 when decoded cannot be then decoded with HDCD.

Ah, I might have an explanation for this. These special format CDs can also be played on a normal CD player via the analog outputs. Then they behave like normal CDs. However, the surround information is encoded in the signal, which in turn can only be output for 5.1 via the digital output to an AV receiver with a corresponding surround decoder.

I would therefore assume that HDCD encoding only applies in normal CD operation and surround encoding only via the digital output for 5.1.

Under the assumption I would rephrase the question:

I have one Dolby Surround CD (not SACD's, DVD-Audio's or similar), a very rare format. I can't find a current way to decode and convert it to a 5.1 flac (ideally as low-loss to lossless as possible). Is it possible with dBPoweramp? If yes, how and if no, any idea?

I also refer again to post *3.

Thanks already.
    Last edited by Saitenschwinger; 10-23-2021 at 10:00 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

These CDs (Dolby Surround Audio Discography) would need software that could first read the disc and have a Dolby Surround Pro logic decoder.

Maybe take a look at DVD Audio Extractor or DVD Audio Explorer.