title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Slow loading of collection on Synology DS218+ (R7.3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Slow loading of collection on Synology DS218+ (R7.3)

Hi,

I'm using the latest version (R7.3) of Asset UPNP on a Synology DS218+ NAS, though I've had this issue on previous versions of Asset too.

For some reason, when I first access my collection on one of my devices it takes around 15 seconds to load. That wouldn't be so bad except when I select a second album, maybe 40-60 mins later, the device often calls Asset again and I have to wait another 10-15 seconds. Simply playing 3 or 4 albums can be a clunky experience.

It doesn't matter what device I use - Cambridge Audio Streamer, Samsung Galaxy phone, Denon AVR receiver - the experience is the same, so I'm guessing it's something at the server end. In fact if I try to access the server on two devices simultaneously it "arrives" at the exact same second on both.

I'm using the latest model TP-Link Archer C7 router.

I do have a large database - 184,856 tracks (8786 albums) - so is that causing the delay? Is there a way to keep the server somehow "always connected" to UPnP via the router?

Thanks!

John

Administrator

Re: Slow loading of collection on Synology DS218+ (R7.3)

If you have 2GB of memory, you possibly need to expand it to 6GB for that nas, your library is quite large.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you have 2GB of memory, you possibly need to expand it to 6GB for that nas, your library is quite large.
    Ooh that's interesting, I'll try that. I do have 2GB installed at the moment and memory usage sits fairly consistently at 46% - including when Asset is being accessed. Not sure if that's an indicator of whether more RAM would help? I will certainly try upgrading it though!

Administrator

Watch what happens to the nas when try to play after a time, it suggests that Asset is being swapped out of memory to HDD.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Watch what happens to the nas when try to play after a time, it suggests that Asset is being swapped out of memory to HDD.
    I've done two things which appear to have improved things enormously.

Firstly I took your advice and upgraded my memory from 2GB to 6GB. An easy process and immediate improvement - thank you!

I also found a setting in the Synology Control Panel called "Compress memory for improved performance". Its default setting is ON - theoretically prioriting apps that are used the most. A quick bit of Googling revealed that this often makes this worse so I disabled it - and I saw another significant improvement.

Could it be that this memory compression "feature" is actually messing with Asset's performamce?
    Last edited by Spymaster; 10-23-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Administrator

Yes easily.