title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Artist/Contributing Artist question

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Artist/Contributing Artist question

Hello,
    one question, I have an album with a Piano Duet so I have 2 main artists. Asset shows me in Kazoo only 1 artist, the other I can find under Contributing Artist. By setting the mark in the general settings I can find the 2 artists within Artist/Album. That is clear to me, but when playing the album only the first artist is showed in the controlpoint Kazoo. Is it possible that Kazoo shows me the 2 artists when playing the album ?

Administrator

Re: Artist/Contributing Artist question

UPnP cannot handle this as far as I can tell.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    UPnP cannot handle this as far as I can tell.
    Thanks, but Minimserver can (only for information).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is this necessarily limited by UPnP? Couldn't Asset combine the two artist values into one string of text and present it as one value for the player?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    Is this necessarily limited by UPnP? Couldn't Asset combine the two artist values into one string of text and present it as one value for the player?
    This would be very nice...

Administrator

It is the control point which decides what it shows, for a Kanye West track, where Kanye West is the album artist, and there are 3 contributing artists '2 Chainz; Big Sean; Pusha T', Asset gives out:

<dc:creator>Kanye West</dc:creator><upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist">Kanye West</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>Kanye West</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>2 Chainz</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>Big Sean</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>Pusha T</upnp:artist>

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Glad you brought this up again, Spoon!

Instead of:

<upnp:artist>Kanye West</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>2 Chainz</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>Big Sean</upnp:artist><upnp:artist>Pusha T</upnp:artist>

could Asset give out:

<upnp:artist>Kanye West, 2 Chainz, Big Sean, Pusha T</upnp:artist>

Basically the control point wouldn't have to decide what to show since Asset has combined the multiple artists into a single artist.

But this would only be beneficial for the playing display, of course. Would it affect browsing for artists too? If so it's no good.

But if this works and could be added as an option in Asset, I think it would fix what erho and I are asking for.

Administrator

Combining multiple artists as a single line is not correct as per the upnp specification, you should really be pushing the control point people to change their software to the specification, rather than us to put an option in to move away from the specification (the reality with UPnP is we could have 1000 options).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Fair enough. I didn't realize it would be out of the UPnP spec.

My Linn Kazoo (both windows and Android versions) are showing multiple artists so maybe Linn has updated its control point software.

You referred to the "upnp specification" above. Can someone tell me where to find it.