title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asset 7.3 on synology DS620 not gapless when transcoding to WAV

Asset 7.3 on synology DS620 not gapless when transcoding to WAV

Hello all,

I have a strange problem with Asset 7.3 on a Synology DS620 NAS serving a Naim NDX2.
    When I use actual WAV files all is well and gapless is working fine.
    However, when I use FLAC files and enable transcoding to WAV, a tiny pause (maybe max 1/20th of a second) is introduced between tracks.

This problem is also present when using a Synology DS418.

Am I missing a setting or is the used hardware just not powerful enough? If so: which Synology would be needed at a minimum to ensure gapless transcoding?

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Best regards,

Bas

Added: the DS620 is used as a dedicated music server. No other software is installed en it is running in a fully dedicated, wired, network only used for music.
    Last edited by BasJ; 10-15-2021 at 10:25 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Asset 7.3 on synology DS620 not gapless when transcoding to WAV

is your network wired or wi-fi?

Quote Originally Posted by BasJ View Post
    the DS620 is used as a dedicated music server. No other software is installed en it is running in a fully dedicated, wired, network only used for music.
    sorry missed that, it's wired.
    Last edited by mville; 10-15-2021 at 11:39 AM.

what app are you using to control from the nas? I believe naim only support gapless playback from their own app.

Thank you for answering.

I use the Naim app on ios.

I think the problem is with Asset itself, because when I try to play native WAV files (transcoding turned off in Asset) all is well and gapless is working fine.
    The same goes for FLAC files without transcoding: gapless playback works perfectly on the NDX2.

It is only after enabling transcoding (from FLAC to WAV) in Asset that the problem manifests itself. The files play fine, but a tiny silence is introduced between the tracks. As if Asset needs some time to transcode and serve the next track.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I play gapless albums reasonably regularly & not noticed anything as you report, but just to be sure I've just played a few & no I don't seem to have this problem.

All files are FLAC transcoded (play as) WAV

My system is Naim NDX, app is iOS 5.22.2 on iPad iPadOS 15.0.2
    Synology DS214 with DSM-7 all wired ethernet & Asset is r7.4 (beta)

And AFAIA gapless playback on Naim does not require the Naim app, the app does not have any part in the playback function, it just displays the play stream information.
    Last edited by Mike-B; 10-16-2021 at 05:51 AM.

Thank you for trying.
    You seem to have newer versions for almost everything, so maybe I have to upgrade to DSM7 and wait for the public release of Asset 7.4.
    My music network is not connected to the internet, as I tend to hold off upgrading for as long as possible as long as everything is working as it should, especially when it concerns my ability to play music.

I will try it on a spare DS620, and if it does not work I will replace some of my disks with bigger capacity disks and continue to use WAV files.

Thanks again!

Administrator

Try a different player, for Windows try Foobar2000 with the UPnP plug in.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Basj, yes I do keep my stuff updated with new software as & when released,
    But I dont thats the problem as Ive never had a transcoding problem with any Asset or other previous software(s) (sorry I should have said so in my first post)
    Last edited by Mike-B; 10-16-2021 at 01:24 PM.

I tried the suggested configuration. It plays gapless perfectly...
    Problem is though that I do not have a computer on the network normally. Its only a cisco wireless router, ipad, DS620 and Naim NDX2 for music playing only.

Edit: sorry, my answer above is not quite correct. I read 'Windows' and I immediately installed Asset for Windows to try out, using the DS620 as source for the files.
    When using Asset for Windows, gapless playing is fine. Also fine when using the naim app.

I will try foobar player next.
    Last edited by BasJ; 10-16-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Hi MikeB

I tried upgrading to DSM7 on the DS620. To no avail unfortunately.

I tried Foobar on Asset for Windows: everything works fine.
    Foobar on Asset for Synology: same small silence (only with transcoding on, about 1/20th of a second, maybe less).

Since I do not like to take up everybody's valuable time, I am going to replace some disks and continue using WAV files, since that configuration has proven to be working perfectly for as long as I have used Asset.

I would like to thank everybody for their input!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi again, one last thing.
    But first I really did not expect DSM-7 to change anything, what you have is really strange & I doubt very much that the problem is with Synology or Asset.
    My one last thing is re WAV vs FLAC; I know its spoken of a lot in the Naim would & that WAV sounds better than FLAC, and yes it does on my NDX. But it has limited processing power & WAV is virtually PCM & needs little process to play, whereas FLAC needs more processing. However its universally agreed in the Naim forum that their is no audible difference between any of the lossless PCM formats with the new series of Naim streamers, ND555, NDX2 & ND5xs etc. So why not play your FLAC files as FLAC.
    Last edited by Mike-B; 10-17-2021 at 05:33 AM.

That was indeed the original 'plan'. But when I switched to FLAC I started to get the dreaded 'Random Reboots' on both my NDX2 players (once or twice a week, firmware 3.5 (a lot), 3.6 (little less) and 3.7 (same as 3.6). Since I find this unacceptable with music listening (my CD player didn't reboot either in the past , I switched back to WAV and the reboots dissappeared.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I would speak to Naim about the random reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-B View Post
    I play gapless albums reasonably regularly & not noticed anything as you report, but just to be sure I've just played a few & no I don't seem to have this problem.

All files are FLAC transcoded (play as) WAV

My system is Naim NDX, app is iOS 5.22.2 on iPad iPadOS 15.0.2
    Synology DS214 with DSM-7 all wired ethernet & Asset is r7.4 (beta)

And AFAIA gapless playback on Naim does not require the Naim app, the app does not have any part in the playback function, it just displays the play stream information.
    dont know if the NDX is different but the Naim Atom only plays gapless using the naim app. Use another app like hifi cast or bubble upnp and it wont be gapless