title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Tunefusion: Tag handling different from dbPoweramp

Tunefusion: Tag handling different from dbPoweramp

Hi, Spoon.

When I convert from MP3 to WMA (9.2 Lossless) using dbPoweramp, all of the source file's tags appear in the destination file, as expected.

But when I perform the same conversion using Tunefusion, I am surprised to see that only a few of the source's tags are copied to the destination:

• Artist Name
    • Track Title
    • Album Title
    • Date
    • Genre
    • Album Artist
    • Track Number
    • Disc Number
    • Rating

My Tunefusion sync is very minimal: No tag-related options are enabled, and the only DSP effect is ReplayGain (and FWIW, Tunefusion does write the ReplayGain tags to the destination file).

Is this tag-filtering behavior expected when performing MP3 -> WMA conversion in Tunefusion? Is there a configuration option that I'm missing?

Administrator

Re: Tunefusion: Tag handling different from dbPoweramp

No filtering, will test for next release.

Super Moderator

Sorry, can't reproduce.
    What exact tags are getting discarded?

I tested Performer, Composer and Comment tags, they all came thru when converting from MP3 to WMA.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by converting MP3 to WMA Lossless. It's NOT lossless, you can't improve quality by converting to a lossless format - what was lost in MP3 encoding is lost forever, until you re-rip the CD to another format.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Sorry, can't reproduce.
    What exact tags are getting discarded?

I tested Performer, Composer and Comment tags, they all came thru when converting from MP3 to WMA.
    Thanks for testing that, and apologies for the 2-year delay in responding.

The discarded tags were custom (TXXX) tags like MusicBrainz IDs, MusicIP analysis, etc. The latest version of Tunefusion does not discard them.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by converting MP3 to WMA Lossless. It's NOT lossless, you can't improve quality by converting to a lossless format - what was lost in MP3 encoding is lost forever, until you re-rip the CD to another format.
    Right, I wasn't trying to recreate any lost information; I just needed the file type to change.

For a couple of my playback systems, all the music goes through a software processing chain (EQ, basically) that only takes FLAC as its input. But I have music in various lossy formats as well as FLAC, and Tunefusion only allows lossy-to-lossy and lossless-to-lossless transcoding. Fortunately, there is one exception: Lossy to WMA Lossless is allowed.

So I have Tunefusion convert everything non-FLAC to WMA Lossless, then convert again from WMA Lossless to FLAC.