title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: HDCD rip with PE

HDCD rip with PE

New to the board with a few questions. I'm ripping my HDCD's that I know use PE upon playback. I've ripped to FLAC using HDCD DSP and did NOT apply +6 or ReplainGain (which I gather is correct upon reading the many posts regarding this. Couple questions:

1. Is this the way to go? I'm playing back via the following chain: FLAC (via Foobar) through USB to Schiit Modi 3+ DAC via analog to Schiit Magni (I'm using MDR-V6 headphones for all playback)

2. Upon ripping to FLAC I've checked and all tracks are 24/44.1 so I'm assuming all is fine since I won't be playing back on a HDCD capable player. The DAC doesn't have HDCD conversion either so I have to rely on the rip converting to HDCD. The Magni connected RCA will take of analog playback. Correct, or am going about this wrong?

3. Will this process take advantage of Peak Extension, etc that I know are present or do I need to do something else? I read apply +6 and ReplayGain will effect the PE and I just want the best quality I can get from what I have.

I also use a MAC so the Foobar I use is I guess FOOBAR "light" compared to the Windows version (I did read about the Windows version having HDCD add-on but do not see with the MAC version).

I've read so much about this the last couple days my head is spinning. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: HDCD rip with PE

I think you've optimized playback of these files with what you've already done. Nothing else to do.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw0223 View Post
    I also use a MAC so the Foobar I use is I guess FOOBAR "light" compared to the Windows version (I did read about the Windows version having HDCD add-on but do not see with the MAC version).
    Correct, there is an HDCD decoder for the Windows version.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Correct, there is an HDCD decoder for the Windows version.
    And if you *were* using foobar2000 (windows) with the HDCD decoder, you'd want to play the files ripped by dbpa WITHOUT the HDCD special DSP. The files ripped as regular 16/44.1 flac files will play back in an HDCD capable player using HDCD effects and this is also true for the foobar2000 with HDCD decoder component.