title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Initial Lossless Encoder to use (and DSP effects)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AdamMellor
    • Oct 2021

Initial Lossless Encoder to use (and DSP effects)

Hi,

I'm well into the Apple Ecosystem (have two of everything, well no but it feels like it) and am going through what must be my third (and final, really I mean it) rip campaign.

Encoder
    Should I rip initially to FLAC and convert to ALAC or rip directly to ALAC.
    Are there any useful tags that are in FLAC that are not in ALAC ?

DSP Effects
    I started ripping some CD's and got about less than 50 in before I realized I have not set the ReplayGain/Sound Check.
    I've gone through and set ReplayGain to "Track, Album Gain and iTunes Track Normalization".
    Are there other DSP Effects I should setup ? (I didn't see any that I think would be a must have)
  • GBrown
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2009

Re: Initial Lossless Encoder to use (and DSP effects)

Originally posted by AdamMellor
    Hi,

I'm well into the Apple Ecosystem (have two of everything, well no but it feels like it) and am going through what must be my third (and final, really I mean it) rip campaign.

Encoder
    Should I rip initially to FLAC and convert to ALAC or rip directly to ALAC.
    Are there any useful tags that are in FLAC that are not in ALAC ?

DSP Effects
    I started ripping some CD's and got about less than 50 in before I realized I have not set the ReplayGain/Sound Check.
    I've gone through and set ReplayGain to "Track, Album Gain and iTunes Track Normalization".
    Are there other DSP Effects I should setup ? (I didn't see any that I think would be a must have)
    Id say these all look good. FLAC offers a checksum that ALAC does not, plus perhaps more flexibility for compatibility. But I cannot say sonically one is better than the other.

Comment

• AdamMellor
      • Oct 2021

Originally posted by GBrown
      Id say these all look good. FLAC offers a checksum that ALAC does not, plus perhaps more flexibility for compatibility. But I cannot say sonically one is better than the other.
      Thanks G

Sonically I’ll assume they are each as good as the source cd.
      What is this checksum ? Is it like the accuraterip checksum that is stored ?
      On my tablet atm but I think I’ll check out flac tonight

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The checksum verifies that the uncompressed audio is identical to the original source, if the file became corrupted then it would not match.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>