title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: TuneFusion : Encode lossy files as FLAC?

TuneFusion : Encode lossy files as FLAC?

Hi, Spoon.

I'm running a registered copy of TuneFusion 1.5, and I like it very much. But I have a problem:

For one of my sync tasks, my source is a mix of lossy and lossless files, and I need the destination to be all FLAC (of course I understand that re-encoding in a lossless format does not improve the quality of a lossy-encoded track).

The problem is that TuneFusion allows lossy files to be encoded only in other lossy formats (with one exception, which I imagine was an accident). So to do what I want, I use two TuneFusion syncs: One sync to convert from lossy to WMA Lossless (the exception I mentioned), and then a second sync to convert from WMA Lossless to FLAC. But this is awkward and wasteful, and tags get lost in the WMA conversion.

Would it be possible to allow lossy files to be encoded in other lossless formats, like FLAC?

Administrator

Re: TuneFusion : Encode lossy files as FLAC?

Sorry there is no option to do this currently.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I suspect adding an option to encode lossy files to lossless is overall a bad idea for multiple reasons...

dBpoweramp Guru

There are reasons why this may be necessary in professional audio and broadcasting. Basically, if you want to edit the recording, you have to do it with an uncompressed (.wav) original. At least one of my editing programs will open FLAC, but it converts the FLAC file to wav when it opens the file. Yes, the file is not going to have any better quality when made into a .wav, and will actually sound worse if recompressed to a lossy format, but you have no choice if you cannot obtain a lossless format.

Also the automation system I've used at both radio and TV facilities would only store .WAV or MP2 (not 3). Again, if you only had the lossy mp3 or m4a file, you had no choice if you wanted to air it.

So, there are practical reasons why it may be necessary to make conversions, sometimes quite often, that make absolutely no sense from a quality of reproduction standpoint.