title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Convert files with RG effect added (not tags)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Convert files with RG effect added (not tags)

I'm creating a set of playlists for use in my car. They come from different albums with different volume levels. I'd like to use ReplayGain to make them a bit more similar in volume level. I'll play them from a flash drive in the car.

However, my car player cannot deal with RG tags. The source files are a mix of flac, mp3 and m4a. A set will be assembled and then converted to mp3-320. It would be great if the RG effect could be applied to the converted files, so that the exported files have the adjustment included -- not tags, the actual file modified.

Is there a way to do this?

I did browse the topics, but couldn't find this one. Sorry if I missed it.

Ron

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Convert files with RG effect added (not tags)

There is DSP Replay Gain Apply.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Great. I see that the DSP Volume Normalize might be better for me, since I might only use the effect in the car, don't use RG on my home systems.

Am I correct in understanding that when invoked during a conversion, the effect will be applied to the newly converted files (in whatever target folder), rather than to the source files?

R.

Administrator

Yes, as long as your naming is set to not overwrite the originals.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I just used Volume Normalize with a batch of a couple of hundred files for a playlist. I first converted the files from a variety of formats (flac, mp3, m4a, wma, etc) to MP3-320. Then I converted again to the same format but with Volume Normalize invoked. The progress visualization showed Volume Normalize being implemented.

However, I don't actually hear any difference in volume levels, although there is clearly some across the tracks. And there seems to be absolutely no change to the file sizes. This probably means a good thing, that re-converting the files had no impact, the files were just passed on, but I'm surprised that Volume Normalize seems to have had no effect on filesize at all.

Am I missing something here?

R.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I used Volume Normalize with the Replay Gain method. I did it again with the Peak method. No difference.
    Last edited by RonM; 09-22-2021 at 02:22 PM.