title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Basic questions for a starter

Basic questions for a starter

Might seem like a basic question, but as cd ripper converts cds to FLAC files, what do most people use to actually organise and play their libraries on mac OS? Itunes can't do FLAC and isn't great as a library/organiser anyway, are there any good choices out there.

Also, is there a guide to the myriad of settings that can be used to obtain the best quality FLAC from a cd. I'm only doing it once (hopefully!) and want to get it right from the outset. Not do hundreds of cds and then find out they could have been better.
    Thanks.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Basic questions for a starter

Quote Originally Posted by seneca View Post
    Might seem like a basic question, but as cd ripper converts cds to FLAC files, what do most people use to actually organise and play their libraries on mac OS? Itunes can't do FLAC and isn't great as a library/organiser anyway, are there any good choices out there.

Also, is there a guide to the myriad of settings that can be used to obtain the best quality FLAC from a cd. I'm only doing it once (hopefully!) and want to get it right from the outset. Not do hundreds of cds and then find out they could have been better.
    Thanks.
    Other than the checksum option, you can use ALAC and get better Mac compatibility whether using iTunes or not.

Administrator

One of the reasons for going with dbpoweramp is to rip to FLAC, as I have a Sony DAP and an LG phone. I also have an iphone and ipad, so plan to use batch convert to convert verything to ALAC, so I have both formats. I have plenty of external disks, so space is not a problem, and I always planned on using DBpoweramp to get both formats. Having an imac as my main system, it will be my main converter to get the files. I read somewhere that the mac OS version was the best way of getting both formats. Otherwise, it would be ripping with itunes using the mac and getting a windows machine to do FLAC. Just seems a lot of hassle that way.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by seneca View Post
    One of the reasons for going with dbpoweramp is to rip to FLAC, as I have a Sony DAP and an LG phone. I also have an iphone and ipad, so plan to use batch convert to convert verything to ALAC, so I have both formats. I have plenty of external disks, so space is not a problem, and I always planned on using DBpoweramp to get both formats. Having an imac as my main system, it will be my main converter to get the files. I read somewhere that the mac OS version was the best way of getting both formats. Otherwise, it would be ripping with itunes using the mac and getting a windows machine to do FLAC. Just seems a lot of hassle that way.
    Your Sony DAP and LG phone should play ALAC files natively. Plus likelihood is you will end up using a separate audio player app as the native players on both are underwhelming. So ALAC is still a viable option. If you do choose to do both FLAC and ALAC, you will end up using double the storage space as they end up with virtually identical file sizes and yet both are lossless.