title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Older Audio CDs

Older Audio CDs

Hi, I'm a long-time user of dbpoweramp/CD Ripper and although I rarely purchase CDs nowadays I do have around 850. These have been digitised differently as my thinking and budget provided. I started with 128kbps MP3, moved to 160kbps WMA and then WMA 9.2 lossless. My naming strategy has also eveolved over the years. I decided I'd re-rip everything in lossless format using consistent naming but I'm getting what I consider a high number of AccurateRip errors, around 1 in 10 CDs either fails or is Securely ripped, often multiple tracks. The disc surface is unmarked; most of these CDs were only taken out of the jewel case, ripped to disc and then put back away for storage. I know writeable CDs have a limited shelf life, but these are commercial pressed CDs. Do pressed discs also degrade over time? To be fair, many of these CDs were purchased in the 1990s. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Older Audio CDs

Quote Originally Posted by steveth View Post
    I know writeable CDs have a limited shelf life, but these are commercial pressed CDs. Do pressed discs also degrade over time? To be fair, many of these CDs were purchased in the 1990s.
    This shouldn&*8217;t happen by design for CD, but unfortunately some production facilities did have quality issues. You can search a phenomenon known as disc rot. It can happen in some cases, I have a few in my collection that are worse than others, among 900 or so CDs. But not likely to be 1/10 though.

dBpoweramp Guru

if you're not getting AccurateRip matches but you are getting SECURE rips, you're most likely OK. Not getting an AR match is not equivalent to there being an issue with the CD or the resulting rip.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just have to persevere. I'm going to try some more recent CDs and see what happens.

Hi, the errors are a mixture; I am getting some flagged as inaccurate but secure which I'm OK with, but also a number of Inaccurate/Insecure. And large numbers of frames to be reripped, such as 1200 or more. I thought initially the problem was with tracks at the outside edge of the CD, but now I see they are in different parts as well. Tried using the optical drive in my wife's desktop, but failures on same tracks. Thanks for your input on my issue.

Administrator

Frame re-rips are likely a damaged disc, or degradation due to cd age (disc rot).

OK thanks Spoon, I'm sure you are correct. Many of the CDs, although in apparently perfect condition, must be 25-30 years old.