title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ReplayGain Error Decoding Corrupt File

ReplayGain Error Decoding Corrupt File

Hi

New to this forum & 63 so not very technical so please be patient!

I've just applied ReplayGain to a 16gb USB flash drive with approx 2400 songs in the root dir
    Most converted ok but about 20 songs reported an error & I can't figure out why, here is an example of one:

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder.mpg' to 'E:\Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder.IGNORE'
    Error decoding mp3 data stream, is corrupt?

The files in question play ok & don't report any errors on my PC - any ideas?

I did try a search but cam back with no results sadly oh & I have the latest version of dBpoweramp (17.4)

Thanks
    Phil
    Last edited by Junks; 08-24-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain Error Decoding Corrupt File

The files are corrupted, another player might try to skip over the error and resync on the mp3 data.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The files are corrupted, another player might try to skip over the error and resync on the mp3 data.
    Ok thanks for that, I'll try another copy from the hard drive & see if that solves it for any of them

Thanks
    Phil

Looking like the originals are corrupted too when trying the same process on them, about half the songs are difficult ones to find, is there any MP3 repair software available?
    Thanks

Administrator

I do not know of any.

dBpoweramp Guru

Possibly you tried this already, did you try using the converter to convert MP3 to MP3. You'll get an error message if the source file was corrupt and you'll have to convert the output again to get the replay gain setting, but if you are lucky you should also get a uncorrupt MP3 at the destination location. I usually set the converter to send the converted mp3 to the desktop. listen to it to see if it is complete, it won't be corrupt but might be incomplete if the converter was able to convert it.

You can try the same thing in foobar2000, select corrupt file, right click, select convert, convert to mp3, you may have some configuration to do. I've found Foobar's mp3 decoder sometimes plays corrupt mp3's better than the dBpa converter. If Foobar plays the track correctly, it will convert it to a new mp3 correctly. You'll get what you heard when you played it.

I had to deal with hundreds of corrupt mp3's in some archived material recently. One or the other of these methods recovered most of them. My fallback was to look for the item on YouTube and capture the audio from the playback.

Please note that if you use Foobar, (or obviously YouTube) you may have to re-enter some of the metadata to match the original.