title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset VERY slow to respond on Synology NAS

Asset VERY slow to respond on Synology NAS

I've had a search and found an older thread but it doesn't seem to address my issue.
    I actually have two Synology NAS drives, both running Asset server (fully paid) and although one works flawlessly, the other doesn't.
    Both used to work perfectly but now the DS119 doesn't.
    The DiskStation reports as being "Healthy" and "Running Well".
    501GB used of 1.3TB

The instance of Asset installed on my Synology DS119 via Finder on my Mac, the files all show immediately and play just fine.
    When I search for the same music on my streamer, it takes forever for the content to populate and ages for the listing to show. It then takes a long time to select artist / album or anything else.

I have rebooted the NAS drive and network.(Microtik router)

The NAS CPU whilst doing this reports between 15%-32% and the RAM is showing as around 57%

The other installed packages are:
    File Station
    Java 8 (do I need this installed??)
    Minim Server (stopped as I don't use it)
    O Auth Service (no idea what that is or does)
    Universal Search
    Bubble UPnP (stopped as I don't use it)
    Asset V7.2

Can anyone offer advice on what might be causing the extremely slow instance of Asset server?
    I suspect another package might be the culprit but don't want to uninstall something critical by accident. I am not particularly technically minded.

Many thanks, Martin.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Asset VERY slow to respond on Synology NAS

I have no idea why its running slow, but am interested in case it happens to me (DS214 with DSM-7)
    CPU & RAM percent number are normal, but I found removing unused packages does reduce this.
    I would uninstall Java, Minimserver & Bubble if you are not using them.

File Station is where you store & access your music.
    O Auth Service is a protocol to facilitate login procedures, when I had DSM-6 I removed it (its not included in DSM-7, Synology have something new in place of & it cant be removed)
    Universal Search does what it says & it cant be removed

Have you tried uninstalling Asset, then power cycle (reboot) the device & reinstalling Asset

Thank you for your reply.
    I thought I'd responded earlier but it seems I haven't.
    I have just uninstalled the redundant apps, rebooted and fingers crossed for an improvement.
    I had previously re-installed Asset and restarted etc.

Trying again this morning.
    When I select "All albums", it still hasn't shown anything after 1 minute. However, once I've viewed the albums, they seem to come up quickly next time.
    It's the same if I look at "Artists A" or anything else.
    It's as though Asset is re-indexing each time I start looking for anything.

My other instance of Asset, installed on a different Synology NAS drive shows "All Albums" immediately.
    Is there a setting somewhere which might be making it re-index?

Administrator

What is the model of the other nas that works well?

How many music tracks do you have?

The Synology which is still working well is an RS814+. It has an INTEL Atom D2700 processor. Running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6 and 2048 MB memory.
    I have 1315 albums, so around 15,780 tracks. All except 88 albums are stored in FLAC format. The 88 are Mp3. There are no videos etc. Only music is stored on the smaller DS119.
    Both NAS drives were working well until quite recently.
    The DS119 has a MARVELL Armada 3720 88F3720 processor. Running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 and 256 MB memory. Although a lower spec, it has until recently performed just fine.

Administrator

At which point did it become slow? what was updated?

I noticed over the last couple of months that it had become unresponsive.

I wasn't aware of any updates on anything, although it's possible I did update the Synology DSM version. I certainly didn't notice an immediate change after updating DSM.

Would resetting the NAS drive revert to the original older DSM?
    Might that be worth a try?

I realise that would erase all data but I have it all to copy over from the other Synology drive anyway.

Administrator

No the firmware is not held on the hdds

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    I just updated to the latest firmware and the NAS / Asset worked perfectly for about an hour but has now reverted to being very slow to respond.
    I might just have to buy a new NAS drive and start again :-(

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    I just updated to the latest firmware and the NAS / Asset worked perfectly for about an hour but has now reverted to being very slow to respond.
    I might just have to buy a new NAS drive and start again :-(
    I don't know if it's the same problem, but I have a Synology NAS218+ running the latest version of Asset. Regardless of the playback device I'm using (Cambridge Audio streamer, Denon receiver, Android phone), Asset normally takes around 10-20 seconds to "load up" its content. This sometimes reoccurs mid-session. I have 183,570 tracks, nearly all FLACS (quite a few are hi-res).

I thought it might be a UPnP thing - refreshing its link or something - but not sure. My Synology is doing something during this 10 second delay. Preparing files? Is it my large connection?
    Last edited by Spymaster; 09-25-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    I don't know if it's the same problem, but I have a Synology NAS218+ running the latest version of Asset. Regardless of the playback device I'm using (Cambridge Audio streamer, Denon receiver, Android phone), Asset normally takes around 10-20 seconds to "load up" its content. This sometimes reoccurs mid-session. I have 183,570 tracks, nearly all FLACS (quite a few are hi-res).

I thought it might be a UPnP thing - refreshing its link or something - but not sure. My Synology is doing something during this 10 second delay. Preparing files? Is it my large connection?
    Hi There, I know this thread AND response are quite old, but I'm having the same issue.

I have a Synology 718+ NAS, I have a Denon DNR800E streamer (which I litterally got today), my previous streamer was a Marantz 6005.

I had no problems with the Marantz. However I got the Denon and things are just....well... wierd.

I connected the Denon up and tried to connect to the server (all via LAN cable I should add). It saw my server and came up with a browse tree that wasn't the same as the Marantz, even though I had not changed any settings of Asset. All I have done is disconnect one streamer and replace it with another.

SO. I then thought that maybe Asset needs restarting to recognises it's communicating with a new device. I restarted Asset, then I went to browse the folder tree again on the Denon. Every button press to 2 to even 8 seconds to do anyhting. Even just cursoring up and down lists had the same "lag".

So, my next thought was to restart my Synology. I hadn't done it in about 6 months, so it wouldn't harm it to be done anyway. So I restarted my NAS. Again after restarting, the Denon functioned in the same lazy way.

I was really racking my brain now, so I thought "hey I'll check my firewall both on the NAS and on my router", no issues there were found.
    I then thought "ah, maybe it's an IP conflict or too close to another IP issued for DHCP. The IP address for the Denon was not conflicting with anything, but for "safety" and to take it out of the equasion, I gave the Denon a fixed IP that was well away from the DHCP addresses. I restarted the router and the Denon, went to browse and although it showed my folder tree, it was now moving at a "normal" pace through folders, all the folders were showing as empty! I nearly cried, but I checked the NAS folders and all was well, the files WERE there and it's either the Denon or Asset acting up.

I then noticed, in the folder tree that it actually isn't the structure that I defined in Asset. for my browsing use I have :

File/Folder
    Artist
    Album
    Artist within Album
    Album within Artist

( don't ask or question my structure, I'm a bit strange with how I remeber songs haha. With this structure, I can find anything)

On the Denon Folder Tree it goes :

Search
    File/Folder
    Album
    Artist
    Genre
    Track

Then if I go in File/Folder on the tree it has as expected, then AGAIN it has :

Artist
    Album
    Track

I'm now begining to lose my cool because nothing makes logical sense.

So I thought, maybe I should find out if my Denon is faulty or if there's a software issue with Asset.

So I disabled Asset and installed Synology's Media Server package. Within seconds, everything is running fine. Realy fast and smooth access, the folders showing all theie contents and generally how I remembered Media Server. I really missed the "search" facility that Synology decided to make unavailable to everything except "DS Audio", so after playing some High Res 192 and some 44.1 , I knew the streamer (Denon) is ok. It also proves that the server (Synology is ok), I now know that my network is happy too, so to confirm everything, I uninstalled Synology Media Server and started Asset again.

Guess what? Yep, Asset made everything Denon wise grind to a halt. Sometimes showing files in folders, sometimes not.

I then completely uninstalled Asset, restarted the NAS, reinstalled Asset, THEN restarted the Nas AGAIN. I did a ful media scan again (of thousands upon thousands of FLAC files (it's all I use until I brave the world of DSD ), this time I left the folder tre and everythong at default, to find out if it was something going cranky in my original setup.

Well I did all this, then got to the Denon (which I forgot to mention I had also restarted too). I was surprised to find it being very responsive, just like the Synology media server software. Files were in their rightful folders, it was "all good" as "they" say. The folder tree was still not to my liking, but if it works, I'd go along with it just to have the search functionality.

As I've said, everything was going well, then within an hour or so, we were back where we started. Slow laggy responses to key presses, empty folders and just a real headache.

I uninstalled Asset Premium (for my own sanity), installed Media Server (from Synology) then went looking on line for "fixes" and people with similar issues.

That brings us up to now

As I say, this is old I know, but it proves the issue is still "a thing" and I'm 99.9% sure there's some wierd bug in asset and it only becomes apparent with certain streamers.

If anyone else has this problem, or any ideas/resolutions, please please please, reply to this or even to my existing post on this subject in the forum