title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset 7.2 not scanning after update to Synology DSM 7

Asset 7.2 not scanning after update to Synology DSM 7

Until this evening, I was a happy user of Asset 6 and various other apps running on a Synology DS218+ under DSM 6. After checking that Minimserver and Asset uPNP will work on DSM 7, I followed Synology's advice to upgrade to enjoy the benefits of DSM 7. With hindsight, that was a mistake.

All my data is still where it used to be and my Naim streamers can see and play my music with Minimserver. My Bluesound devices can also see and play everthing without a problem. However, a scan by Asset 7.2 will only find 72 tracks on 8 albums by 3 artists. Sadly, this falls way short of the 23,632 tracks on 1656 albums by many artsis that are still on the Synology NAS.

I have tried a number of typical cures, including:
    • uninstalling Asset, restarting the NAS, re-installing Asset
    • stopping indexing by other servers and then manually scanning in Asset
    • clearing the database and rescanning all folders

It seems that for some reason, Asset will not scan beyond the same 72 tracks on 8 albums by 3 artists. Sorry if the answer is somewhere here on the forum, but a search rvealed nothing that has helped.

What can I do to encourage Asset 7 with its full licence to scan and replay the entire music collection?

Many thanks in advance,
    David

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Asset 7.2 not scanning after update to Synology DSM 7

Hi David, I have no idea what your problem is, but Im sure its easily solvable & one of the guys will help.
    But please take this post as assurance that in my case the change to DSM-7 worked just fine.
    After DSM install & Asset start up, the system scan ran as expected & it sees all my tracks.

Hi Mike, Thanks for your words of reassurance.
    In the meantime, I have found that the 72 indexed tracks are all in wav format. The majority of files are flac, with many mp3 and some other wav and w4a files that have accumulated over the years.
    I have tried a number of combinations of stopping other servers, triggering manual scans and starting again from scratch.
    The only constant is that the scan stops after the same 72 tracks, 8 albums and 3 artists.
    Minimserver, Bubble uPNP and Asset have always coexisted without any problems in the past. The lack of the Bubble server, which is not supported by DSM-7 is a shame, but not really important. The lack of Asset is a real loss and I hope a solution can be found soon.
    Cheers,
    David

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.

Synology DSM 7 requires 'Asset' user (automatically created upon installation of Asset) to be granted access privileges to your music folders in order to be able to access them.

They are automatically granted for generic music folders, but not for other shares.

Please check security permissions of your folders and make sure that 'Asset' user is granted read rights.

If the above doesn't help, please make sure all your music folders are indexed in Asset configuration. If some of them can't be accessed, there should be informative-enough error messages while trying to add them.
    Last edited by PeterP; 08-13-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your constructive reply.

Unfortunately, I see no user on the Synology NAS other than those that I created. Where can I see the user “Asset” and that user’s rights? I never saw a user by that name in the past when Asset worked flawlessly under DSM-6. Do I have to add that user by hand?

All my music folders are under the music directory in DSM-7. I assume they inherit the same rights as their parent folder. However, this might be a pointer to the solution, as only the “wav” directory (containing the wav files) has been indexed. Unless I am missing something, I cannot see a way to modify the access rights to any of those directories beyond the usual user rights, which do not include a user “Asset”, as described above.

Many thanks for any further suggestions.

David

The problem seems to have been solved and the folder permissions issue was the key.

In the depths of the permissions for the “music” directory, as one the shared folders, I discovered a pull-down that allowed me see and edit the rights of users other than those that I had created. Asset is included as a “System internal user” and has read rights to music. At the bottom of the permissions edit page is a small checkbox marked “Apply to this folder, sub-folders and files”. Once that box was checked and the settings saved, I was able to clear the database and rescan all folders in Asset.

The checkbox was hidden in the depths of the configuration menu and only became visible when I selected the “System internal users” and then edited the Assets permissions. In addition, I had to scroll to the bottom of the relevant page to find the checkbox.

I recall that I added the “wav” sub-directory much later than the others. Presumably, Asset had received the correct access rights only for that recent addition.

I can now see all the tracks in Asset and a higher number of albums. I might have to go back and combine some albums that have become split since the update to Asset 7.2.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and I hope that this solution helps other users if they run into the same problem in future.

Super Moderator

I just added a tutorial for this:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...Synology-DSM-7