title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Image Converter Not Respecting Orientation

Image Converter Not Respecting Orientation

First off, I am trying Image Converter and love it. Quite nice. However, there are instances where the program does not respect the portrait orientation of my pictures and flips them to landscape (rotates).

Why is this and how can this be stopped? I do not want any processing on image orientation. Am I missing something?

Thx

Administrator

Re: Image Converter Not Respecting Orientation

We have this to look into.

What is odd is that it is fine with some images and not with others. I can send a picture that it is flipping if you like. Regardless, though, it should not be checking to see if it "should" flip to landscape anyway...it should leave orientation alone unless it is asked for in an option. Very odd. I do like the program though....VERY USEFUL!!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Can it be a problem with the EXIF orientation flag? Photos / pictures in portrait orientation are stored in landscape orientation but with the corresponding orientation flag.

Dat Ei

Administrator

It is exactly this, the image is not being rotated, it already is rotated, there is a flag which is not getting passed down in the EXIF. The issue is not every format can accommodate this flag, so to maintain the orientation (virtual) it will have to be physically rotated.

I note the program uses FFMPEG to run everything. There is a DSP option called "custom". I am assuming this is a spot to add-in custom FFMPEG commands? How does one do this? For example, there are numerous posts out there where FFMPEG does these rotations automatically because it defaults to this. There is a command option called -noautorotate which alleviates this issue. Can I just enter noautorotate is the custom field? I don't have many pics like this, so it is not a huge issue.

Administrator

You can try that, dBpoweramp does handle some image conversions its self though as we have libraries for reading all formats.

Look into the settings of the image converter you're using. Some converters have options to enable or disable the automatic orientation adjustment. Make sure this feature is enabled if available. Before converting images, make sure you're using an image viewer that correctly interprets and displays the orientation metadata. If the image looks fine in the viewer, the issue might be with the image converter.