title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rip as One FLAC with CUE sheet or... what?

Re: Rip as One FLAC with CUE sheet or... what?

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    I ripped these as disc at once then manually split them. I couldn&*8217;t find any other solution at the time.

I think any solution would be manual. It's just a question of how it's handled. Either load the audio into an audio editor and split that way, or create a custom CUE file and split using that with a script.

It's now occurred to me that another use for this (either method) is to split the silence from the start of the so-called-"hidden" tracks at the end of a disk - or collapse multiple short silent tracks into one. Either way, the result is one track of silence to ignore, rather than either unavoidable lengthy initial silence, or multiple unwieldy tracks.

Re: Rip as One FLAC with CUE sheet or... what?

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    Yes, it is the pre-gap that is incorrectly used. I believe this was may have been an early effort to thwart piracy, but it could have also just been poor mastering techniques as well.

I tried to find a way to rip with the pre-gap moved to the front of each track rather than trailing, but couldn&*8217;t. I think the DAO method worked ok though, and actually had better control of where each track separator was in my opinion.

My memory of this at the time was using cdparanoia and thinking about writing a script to rip at alternate timing points - but then never getting around to it.

As for piracy/master - I think this was poor mastering tbh. I suspect the pregap concept was misunderstood by someone at some level!

fwiw, the album is "About An Hour of Sing-In-An-Hour" by Tripod, and the album is on bandcamp now with correct track timings - they even acknowledge the difference to the CD in the album description: "This digital version of the release has the description of the challenge at the start of the track as opposed to at the end of the preceding track as we did on the CD. "