title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ** HELP ** ALAC files are not 1411 KBPS Bit Rate. Instead: 944 kbps and 906 kbps.

** HELP ** ALAC files are not 1411 KBPS Bit Rate. Instead: 944 kbps and 906 kbps.

Hello,

I just ripped many Audio CDs with dBpoweramp CD Ripper and my customer is reviewing his ALAC files using a Mark Levinson and seeing bitrates of 944 kbps and 906 kbps. Isn't the default for ALAC 1,411 kbps? If so, why weren't the audio tracks ripped at the higher rate? See the 2 attached photos for 944 kbps and 906 kbps.

Any details on this matter would be appreciated.906_KBPS.jpg944_KBPS.jpg

Neil

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: ** HELP ** ALAC files are not 1411 KBPS Bit Rate. Instead: 944 kbps and 906 kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNeil View Post
    Hello,

I just ripped many Audio CDs with dBpoweramp CD Ripper and my customer is reviewing his ALAC files using a Mark Levinson and seeing bitrates of 944 kbps and 906 kbps. Isn't the default for ALAC 1,411 kbps? If so, why weren't the audio tracks ripped at the higher rate? See the 2 attached photos for 944 kbps and 906 kbps.

Any details on this matter would be appreciated.906_KBPS.jpg944_KBPS.jpg

Neil
    it's showing the compressed size estimate. I'm sure the files are lossless (16/44.1; 1,411kbps). For example squeezebox players do the same thing....show the bit rate at between 7xx and 9xx kbps. It's just the way these players/servers read the files. It has nothing to do with the files themselves. To prove this to your customer, convert one of the ALAC files to WAV, and he'll see that it shows as 1,411kbps. See below. And ALAC and FLAC are the same in this regard.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...6-FLAC-is-FLAC
    https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78878

Last edited by garym; 07-26-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Re: ** HELP ** ALAC files are not 1411 KBPS Bit Rate. Instead: 944 kbps and 906 kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    it's showing the compressed size estimate. I'm sure the files are lossless (16/44.1; 1,411kbps). For example squeezebox players do the same thing....show the bit rate at between 7xx and 9xx kbps. It's just the way these players/servers read the files. It has nothing to do with the files themselves. To prove this to your customer, convert one of the ALAC files to WAV, and he'll see that it shows as 1,411kbps. See below. And ALAC and FLAC are the same in this regard.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...6-FLAC-is-FLAC
    https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78878

Thank you for your reply. I agree with your assessment. I did follow up and spoke with tech support at Mark Levinson audio company, asking them the same question about ALAC bitrates. Tech support also confirmed the audio quality of ALAC/FLAC files is still 1411, but the lower bitrate as seen on their audio players was due to the compression size estimate. I presented this feedback from Mark Levinson to the customer, and he deflected the details saying, "their tech support did not know what they were talking about."

Again, thank you for your reply!!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNeil View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I agree with your assessment. I did follow up and spoke with tech support at Mark Levinson audio company, asking them the same question about ALAC bitrates. Tech support also confirmed the audio quality of ALAC/FLAC files is still 1411, but the lower bitrate as seen on their audio players was due to the compression size estimate. I presented this feedback from Mark Levinson to the customer, and he deflected the details saying, "their tech support did not know what they were talking about."

Again, thank you for your reply!!!
    Your customer sounds like a typical "audiophool": ignore facts and engineering, and make up one's own opinion based on myth and internet misinformation. Oh well. Good luck.