title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can I import from USB?

Can I import from USB?

This software consistently gets good reviews for Mac users, but before I purchase can I ask a basic question -
    Can I import music from a USB storage device (Western Digital)I already have? I’ve already ripped 400 CDs with album artwork and would like to transfer it onto dBPoweramp without having to re-rip it all again.
    Don’t know if this is relevant, but the ripping was from a Naim UnitiStar.
    Thanks for any help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can I import from USB?

The main functions of dBpa are accurate ripping of CDs and tagging, handling and converting of music files. Most ripping programs don't care about errors during the ripping process. These result in flaws in your audio files, some you will not notice, some lead to skips and other distortions. Here dBpa can help you with its accurate rip technology. I know ripping 400 CDs is no fun, but is no drama too. A lot of users around here have ripped several thousands of CDs. The next point is that dBpa helps you to tag your music files with meta data while ripping. dBpa access several online databases for those infos. dBpa can't grep meta data for your old, existing music files. So to get the most out of dBpa and not only the handling and converting functions, it would be best to re-rip the CDs.

Dat Ei

Fully understood thank you.
    I wish I&*8217;d known how good it was before, could have saved hours !!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Timj View Post
    I wish I&*8217;d known how good it was before, could have saved hours !!
    Full ack! I've ripped my collection (now ~3.500 CDs) in the beginning of the 2000's with iTunes into mp3 files. Bad, bad idea...

I've done it a second time with dBpa some years ago. This time I've decided to rip to flac. I don't regret the work - it was worth it.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Full ack! I've ripped my collection (now ~3.500 CDs) in the beginning of the 2000's with iTunes into mp3 files. Bad, bad idea...

I've done it a second time with dBpa some years ago. This time I've decided to rip to flac. I don't regret the work - it was worth it.

Dat Ei
    I did the same thing. Itunes > mp3. But reripped all the FLAC with dbpa. about 6 or 7 thousand CDs to re-rip!!! Just finished the last 1000 or so last summer during lockdown.

Wow, impressive... but that fills me with dread!
    We&*8217;ve all been there - this will be my third ripping project. Which is why I wondered if I could import what I&*8217;ve already done (on FLAC) to save time?
    I accept the benefits of dBpa & will definitely use it for the rest.

dBpoweramp Guru

dBpa has no database or file to store your collection or informations about yor collection. So their is no need for an import process at all.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Wow, impressive... but that fills me with dread!
    We&*8217;ve all been there - this will be my third ripping project. Which is why I wondered if I could import what I&*8217;ve already done (on FLAC) to save time?
    I accept the benefits of dBpa & will definitely use it for the rest.
    You've never actually said what CODEC you originally ripped the files with (or I missed it). Are your original rips LOSSLESS (FLAC, ALAC, or WAV)? Or are they mp3 or m4a etc. If the files are already lossless, you can use PerfectTunes to do an accuraterip check for all the previously ripped files. But they would have to be LOSSLESS rips.

It was all ripped in FLAC.
    Thanks for all the info and advice, really appreciate it. Looks like Ive got some more long hours ahead ... !!

dBpoweramp Guru

It was all ripped in FLAC.
    Thanks for all the info and advice, really appreciate it. Looks like Ive got some more long hours ahead ... !!
    In that case, you may have little or no work. The files are already lossless FLAC. That's perfect. What are you trying to fix? Is the tagging all messed up? Or are you just trying to confirm you got good rips? In that case, the dbpa related program PERFECTTUNES will allow you to check all these files (in a giant batch manner) to see if the FLAC files match the accuraterip database. With a good match, you know you have a good rip and no need to rerip. If your metadata (tags) are all messed up, easiest thing to do may be reripping. But if you only need to improve/add artwork, that can be done in a batch manner too with PerfectTunes.

Clarify what exactly your concern is and what you are trying to achieve.

Hi garym thanks for your time, I was hoping this would be a quick fix!

The issue is that I have a USB device that only plays on the Naim player and won&*8217;t play on anything else. It seems to have &*8216;locked in&*8217; to Naim which plays perfectly and displays artwork etc. However it just shows as not connected on the other player (AVM CS6.3 all-in-one which accepts all universal inputs).

All the discs were ripped in FLAC with correct artwork and track listings.

The computer (Apple Mac) can read the device - everything is there. I was going to try an import to itunes but it wouldnt let me sync so that hasnt been possible either.

So initially I had hoped to transfer the music onto dBpa to save time and then reload another usb device ... but now I think there is be a problem with this WD device itself? Re-ripping might be the only and best option?

Tim

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Tim,

So initially I had hoped to transfer the music onto dBpa to save time and then reload another usb device ... but now I think there is be a problem with this WD device itself? Re-ripping might be the only and best option?
    there is no need to transfer the music onto or into dBpa. dBpa just operates with the CD drive and the file system of your computer. So as long as you can copy your flac files from the USB device to the local HDD or SSD or a NAS, you can handle those files with dBpa.

Only PerfectTunes wants to scan your music files to check your files, to cache the results and to tell already scanned vs. new files .

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm really confused. If you have your files on a USB drive, just copy them to a different USB drive using your computers normal copy and paste function. I suspect something simple is happening with your Naim, but perhaps a Naim user forum might be able to help. Or something you're not seeing with regard to the other players. Doubtful any of this has anything to do with the files themselves.

Ok never had to do that before so will have a go.
    Many thanks to you both, very grateful for your help.