title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD not in AR, yet some tracks are?

Question CD not in AR, yet some tracks are?

I've hoping that someone can clarify an issue that I'm seeing as I'm having trouble making sense of it.

I'm ripping a 5 disc set (Tom Petty - Wildflowers and All the Rest super deluxe). Discs 1 and 2 are in the AccurateRip database, with each track ripped as accurate with a confidence rating of 90-something. Discs 3, 4 and 5 are not in AR, and were ripped as secure, except for disc 5. On disc 5 tracks 1 and 2 were ripped as secure, and tracks 3-16 were ripped as accurate with a confidence rating of 19.

I've used two different drives with the same results and with matching CRC values.

Why would this be occurring? I thought an entire disc was either in the database or not, not on a track by track basis.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD not in AR, yet some tracks are?

Some box sets contain disks that are identical to an original release, and thus matches the AR database (for example, the Hendrix Woodstock set in the 30+ complete woodstock box matches AR with a prior hendrix release). In any case, the AR matching is by Disk. So if the database contains disk 1 only of a 2 disk release, you can still get an AR match for disk 1.

dBpoweramp Guru

Also be aware that many radio stations and probably DJs don't rip entire CDs, only the tracks they might air or play. That was the case at the radio station I was Chief Engineer of. We didn't want to fill up the disc in the automation system with stuff we'd never play.

And if the radio station or DJ is the only one to rip the CD with dBpoweramp, and only ripped a few tracks, those tracks are the only ones that will show up in the accuraterip database.

dBpoweramp Guru

Another thought, your disc 5 may be a different, newer (or uncommon) pressing of the CD. When the record company needs to press more CDs, they usually have to make a new "glass master" to make more CDs. And there may be slightly different amounts of "blank" space (number of silent samples) before the audio begins. Each track is different, some may exactly match the previous master. Different numbers of silent samples will result in a different checksum, and if you are the first to rip that pressing, you will not get an accuraterip match.