title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I Map network Drive?

Question How do I Map network Drive?

Hi, I have recently had to change my password and login details to my Synology NAS. When I now try to map the network drive through the Synology Assistant I get a pop-up (Windows Security)asking me to enter my network credentials. Now everything is currently working OK (meaning I'm connected to the network and everything works OK) BUT my wifi network details do not let me connect to the drive. I'm pretty sure it's not a network password issue as such but maybe something to do with how the initial mapping was initiated but now the changes have screwed something up. Any suggestions on how to rectify will be greatly appreciated!

Administrator

Re: How do I Map network Drive?

The synology is wired to the network so it requires no passwords.

Look for the NAS under Windows file explorer >> Network

It should appear under the 'computer' section

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The synology is wired to the network so it requires no passwords.

Look for the NAS under Windows file explorer >> Network

It should appear under the 'computer' section
    Thanks for the reply Spoon. Yes I can see the drive on Windows file explorer but it has a big red cross on it and I can't connect.

dBpoweramp Guru

Disconnect the network drive within the file explorer and try to reconnect it to assign a new drive letter. You will be asked for a account name and password, if the shared folder is not public and needs privileges.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Disconnect the network drive within the file explorer and try to reconnect it to assign a new drive letter. You will be asked for a account name and password, if the shared folder is not public and needs privileges.

Dat Ei
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know how I go. Cheers.

I tried this but no success. When I enter the Network Credentials for Windows Security I get an error message from Synology Assistant stating "Failed to connect to the server. Make sure you are connected to the server and you have entered the correct user name and password. (Error code: 0).

dBpoweramp Guru

Then you have to check the shares on the Synology. Log into the Synology, check that SMB/Samba is enabled, check the share and the accounts, passwords and privileges for the share.

Dat Ei

Hi there, I have double checked all settings and everything is as should be. This is getting extremely frustrating, so I really appreciate the suggestions.

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you try to map the drive with the Synology Assistant only or the standard windows method too? Can you access the drive with the file explorer?

Dat Ei

I originally tried to map the drive through Synology Assistant (so I could rip some CD's to the NAS) that's when it went pear shaped. I can't seem to map the network drive through windows (it keeps asking me to enter the network credentials (such as the user name and password) but it says my password is incorrect, however I am using the network password as I have checked the router settings. Also I can connect to the NAS through Synology Assistant and I can see all my audio files there! I just can't play any music through Sonos or rip files to the NAS.

dBpoweramp Guru

Have you enabled SMB / Samba on the NAS?

Dat Ei

Yes the setting was already enabled.

dBpoweramp Guru

Can you define a share with RW privileges to public for a test? Can you access this share?

Dat Ei

Do you mean like set up a Guest account and try and map to that?

dBpoweramp Guru

Set up a new shared folder, assign RW privileges to that shared folder for public (no account, no password). Try to access the shared folder with the file explorer.

Dat Ei