title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: m4a to mp3

Re: m4a to mp3

>>>rename the .mp3 to .m4a
    Now I get "error opening tag reader"

I also installed my old dBP on a Windows 10 machine and got "mp3frame not found"

Administrator

The file is not a mp3 file, that is why you would get an 'mp3frame not found'.

What gives the error 'error opening tag reader' when you convert?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The file is not a mp3 file, that is why you would get an 'mp3frame not found'.

What gives the error 'error opening tag reader' when you convert?
    I renamed the file *.m4a as you suggested. The file starts life as *.m4a but is automagically changed to *.mp3 when I download to my PC. Then I get the data frame error when attempting the conversion. Changing the extension to m4a yielded the tag reader error.

Administrator

I am sorry, I do not know what is happening on your system. The file you sent me was already .m4a, if you sent from your computer then it must be m4a already, except the files on your computer are presented as mp3. All I can suggest at this time is to try a different computer, it is possible you have something installed on your system which is changing audio files.

Do your Folder Options hide known file extensions?

Folder Options

I get the same error on Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs. Weird. Maybe it is something with gmail or google drive?

I asked a friend to do the conversion for me, looks like that will be my resolution. Thanks for your attention.

Administrator

The files should be local to your computer, not on google drive.

Of course. All attempts to convert were after downloading from Google drive to my PC.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlemania View Post
    I renamed the file *.m4a as you suggested. The file starts life as *.m4a but is automagically changed to *.mp3 when I download to my PC. Then I get the data frame error when attempting the conversion. Changing the extension to m4a yielded the tag reader error.
    It is really unclear why these files change from m4a to mp3 just through a copy process. Does any other file format change when doing the same thing? Does a Word doc change, Excel, PDF? Is this just a copy/paste you are doing to move these files and having the format change?

In your first post you mentioned converting m4a to mp3 was the original problem, but it seems through this thread that has turned into something much more problematic.