title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't rip "Misty"

Can't rip "Misty"

DbPoweramp is working fine but I can't rip the CD Misty which is a 24K gold Japanese CD. I get the "can't open file" error message. The disc appears pristine. Any ideas?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can't rip "Misty"

Please post the error message. So it looks like that the ouput file can't be opened. Can you create a file manually in the destination folder?

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Please post the error message. So it looks like that the ouput file can't be opened. Can you create a file manually in the destination folder?

Dat Ei
    Not sure how to do either.

dBpoweramp Guru

I.e. create a text file in the destination folder. Maybe you can't access the folder or not enough privileges.

Dat Ei

The destination is my server. I have it's IP address entered on DbPoweramp and I test ripped another CD and it ripped fine.

dBpoweramp Guru

will it rip to your local computer where you run dbpa? Then you can copy it over to your server.

DBPA is on my desktop. I do all my ripping this way and it transfers to my server. I'm thinking something is weird with this CD

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kswanson View Post
    I'm thinking something is weird with this CD
    Maybe, but without more information from you, it makes it difficult to narrow down the issue.

Despite previous rips, it is possible that network access to your server is now not possible. Are you able to access the server via windows file explorer or apple macOS finder (depending on your platform) and manually create a file?

You were also asked to provide the error message. Are you not able to take a screenshot of the error message window and post it in this thread?

Finally, try changing the Path in CD Ripper to a local folder path e.g. C:\Test Rip (not sure of the macOS equivalent), then try to rip your 24K gold Japanese CD and post the outcome in this thread.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'll agree the OP hasn't bee very clear exactly what his issue is. But I read it that this one particular CD for some reason won't rip, but others rip OK???Is that the issue KSwanson?

dBpoweramp Guru

There appears to be a CD like this available on EBay... Erroll Garner Plays Misty LE JAPAN MINI LP 24K GOLD CD UCCU-9539 Wyatt Ruther And yet another from various sources, also Japanese titled Misty by a jazz trio. Both "24 K Gold".

Although these "gold" CDs are supposed to be playable in any player, perhaps his CD player doesn't like them, or perhaps he got a defective one. But the Can't Open File message would indicate something else. Perhaps his naming string is reading the possibly Japanese metadata and including characters in the filename that his computer doesn't like??

Yes, other CDs rip fine and transfer to my server in the process. This CD, Misty by the Yamamoto Trio, does not. My desktop is a PC using Windows 10. I downloaded two files from Acoustic Sounds yesterday and both directly loaded on to my server so network access is fine.

This makes no sense but I deleted the IP address of my server in DbPA and re entered it. I was able to rip Misty. I then tried another previously ripped CD and got the same error message. So I again deleted the IP address and re entered it and the CD ripped fine. This has never happened before.

dBpoweramp Guru

Same IP address? If the router is using DHCP, it may be assigning new IP addresses every time the DHCP lease is up (although most routers don't do that.)

Beyond that, this "smells" of an overly aggressive firewall, probably in the PC, sometimes blocking dBpa from communicating with the server. Just so you know, I recently spent four days with three trips to Best Buy exchanging different Roku/Firestick models trying to get this W10 laptop to "cast" its screen and audio to my home theater setup, only to finally find that the laptop firewall was blocking the connection. None of their "customer support" suggested that, and I only finally caught on when studying some Internet posts which described how Miracast (the trade name for the link protocol) actually worked. Then it hit me, I turned the firewall off temporarily and it connected right away. Then another hour to figure out how to open the correct IP addresses in the firewall. Now it works fine.

And Windows/Microsoft do some problematic things when they do their occasional "feature" updates of W10. And typically you don't even know they did it until you discover that something is broken.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kswanson View Post
    My desktop is a PC using Windows 10.
    What OS is the server running?

A cleaned up version of Windows 10.