title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CODEC required could not be opened

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CODEC required could not be opened

As a test, find a wave file and use dBpowerAMP to create a FLAC file, then see if that FLAC file will convert?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Organfreak

I'm having the same problem converting .wavs to .mp3 (any setting). I get "The CODEC required to compress 'D:\MP3s\Poppies-bedtest.mp3' could not be opened." This with version 9 and now v. 10. Am I correct that the only codecs required are in the dB program folder? The only recent changes to my machine were updating my M-Audio Audiophile drivers to v. .0042. Thanks for any help!?

Comment

• Organfreak

Re: CODEC required could not be opened-FOUND PROBLEM!

In my case, the problem was that I was trying to convert 24 bit .wav files. 16 bit works fine. Is there a codec I could add to do 24s?

-Organfreak

Comment

• Unregistered

Same problem here with APEs, trying to convert them to mp3. Reinstalled ape codec but no way (all other codecs working as expected). APEs are good since I ended up converting them to wav with Monkey's Audio.

Any hint?

Comment

• Danielle

I am also having the same problem when trying to convert from .shn or .flac to mp3.

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\____shn' could not be opened.

I get the same for .flac.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the codecs and dbpoweramp, no luck. I also cannot convert to wave.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Comment

• Unregistered

I'm having an odd example of this (or a similar) problem.

I'm transcoding about 5000 tracks from MP3 to WMA (because the thought of ripping them all again - shudder).

They were all ripped, by me, VBR max 320kbps with CDEX150. On three occasions the converter crashed, but each time, when restarted, transcoded the next file in the sequence (was using file selector) without incident.

However, a few individual tracks, and a couple of whole albums have yielded the "can't open to decompress" message.

The really odd thing, however, is that when I check the output files for these tracks, they are all there, apparantly correctly transcoded.

Odd, not much of a problem, but any comments would be appreciated.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

For Monkeys audio install the new beta codec. For the other problems - the one where just 3 out of 500 complain, I am as puzzelled as you. The shn guy - try creating shn and flac files with dBpoweramp then see if they will convert.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Hello,

I'm getting the error message that sparked this thread:

The CODEC required to compress '<filename>.mp3' could not be opened.

I uninstalled dMC and all codecs, restarted my machine and then downloaded the most recent version (I was on version 9 before) and installed that, and I still get the error.

I'm just trying to convert a WAV file to MP3, nothing complicated...

Funny thing though, I tried converting with AnalogX ACM Convert (http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...io/acmconv.htm) before trying dMC, and it gave me the same error message. I thought it was just freaking out...

Any idea what's wrong? Thanks in advance,

J-S

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi there, me again,

I just tried someting:
                    1- Convert WAV to WAV using dMC.
                    2- Then, convert the resulting WAV to MP3.

This worked fine.

The original WAV file I was using (which dMC did not want to convert) was a 24bit 44.1kHz Stereo file. I converted it to 16bit in the first step above, and it seems like that solved the problem.

Is there any reason why conversion to MP3 from a 24bit WAV is not possible using dMC? And could the error message have been more explicit?

J-S

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

It is the mp3 encoder that is not accepting the 24 bit file, normally I could go tracking down all the little anomolies, but then they fix them (ie a newer lame might fix the problem).
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Ok, fair enough, but I bet lame gives dMC a better error message than "could not be opened" when it fails to encode the 24bit file. Perhaps you could display that error message to the user? That would be a good start.

Anyways, thanks for a great tool! Now that I know about this, I will be able to use it for all my conversion needs.

J-S

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Spoon
                          >'The CODEC required to convert

It should be either:

'The CODEC required to compress

or

'The CODEC required to decompress

?
                          my file say "only read" how to do for chage to mp3 file

Comment

• Unregistered

I had some wma files that I converted to wave (24 bit), then tried to convert to mp3. The built in codec wouldn't work; I had to download the Lame encoder, but it doesn't encode near as fast.

Comment

• Unregistered

Somehow try reinstalling Windows. I had this problem before, but after installing Windows again, dMC now works.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                Somehow try reinstalling Windows. I had this problem before, but after installing Windows again, dMC now works.
                                Re-installing Windows is a little drastic.

From memory, unless there've been some changes recently, conversions are best done from a 16-bit wav file to other formats. 24-bit wav is not handled properly for all conversions. (Sorry, I can't check all this stuff out properly since I don't have dMC on this particular pc right now and I'm also on a dial-up connection and can't easily download all the software to test it.)

Comment

Working...

]]>