title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5

    Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Hello everybody,

    How much time does it take to check for duplicates with PerfectTunes of a 4TB external drive filled with flacs?
    I guess it will be a week non-stop. If so what is a faster progg with the same (or practically the same) efficiency?

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,107

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Quote Originally Posted by alex5908 View Post
    Hello everybody,

    How much time does it take to check for duplicates with PerfectTunes of a 4TB external drive filled with flacs?
    I guess it will be a week non-stop. If so what is a faster progg with the same (or practically the same) efficiency?
    should only take a day. Unless the files are on a NAS. Are the files on a drive connected directly to the pc running perfecttunes. That is way faster.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    should only take a day. Unless the files are on a NAS. Are the files on a drive connected directly to the pc running perfecttunes. That is way faster.
    24 hours is way too much. What will happen to the drive which is under tension for 24 hours non-stop?
    About the question, I did not understand it. There's no other way to check for duplicates unless you assign the drive you want to check. Do you mean anything else?
    Last edited by alex5908; 05-09-2021 at 10:04 PM.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Locale drives are much faster than NAS drives. That's Gary's point.


    Dat Ei

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    OK, got it.
    But still the question remains the same.
    Is there anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates but effectively?

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,107

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Quote Originally Posted by alex5908 View Post
    OK, got it.
    But still the question remains the same.
    Is there anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates but effectively?
    not that I am aware of.

  7. #7

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    What garym said. 4TB is a LOT to sort through.

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,107

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Quote Originally Posted by kryten100 View Post
    What garym said. 4TB is a LOT to sort through.

    Yep, I suspect this is about 300,000 tracks.....

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    3

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Given they're all FLAC could you not just use "metaflac --show-md5sum" to generate a list of audio hashes for all your files and then dedupe that? Obviously that's not going to give you a fuzzy match like it appears PerfectTunes would, but I'd imagine it would be a lot quicker.

    If you want complete duplicates (including tags) then md5sum will work there (although will obviously read the contents of every file).

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5

    Re: Anything faster than PerfectTunes to find audio file duplicates?

    Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Given they're all FLAC could you not just use "metaflac --show-md5sum" to generate a list of audio hashes for all your files and then dedupe that? Obviously that's not going to give you a fuzzy match like it appears PerfectTunes would, but I'd imagine it would be a lot quicker.

    If you want complete duplicates (including tags) then md5sum will work there (although will obviously read the contents of every file).
    Thank you very much for the clue. I'll try it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •