title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Retrieve Metadata From: "Track Type, CD-Text, etc."

Retrieve Metadata From: "Track Type, CD-Text, etc."

Am new to dbpoweramp and just downloaded the 21 day trial version.

I have tested my optical drives and find that they both can read CD-Text using the Nero Info Tool. I have several disks with known CD-Text.

In the trial version, I can't tell when I select the four items in the list of "Retrieve Metadata From" below "freedb" (Track Type, CD-Text, etc.) are those active in the trial version? Or only active in the registered version? Does dbpoweramp "test" the optical drive to confirm these features?

I couldn't find information in the help file concerning the items below the items in the list that have a check-mark on the right.

Thanks --- sorry if this sounds like a novice question --- I just like to test all the software features to get familiar with the capabilities.

Administrator

Re: Retrieve Metadata From: "Track Type, CD-Text, etc."

Track type is an online database, CD Text can be read by almost all CD drives, you can test it by selecting clear metadata, then retrieve from >> CD Text

Spoon,

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that those four items (Track Type, CD-Text, CD-ISRC and CD-UPC) are active in the trial version?

When I tried to read the known disk that has CD-Text, nothing was found.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roxie2401 View Post
    Spoon,

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that those four items (Track Type, CD-Text, CD-ISRC and CD-UPC) are active in the trial version?

When I tried to read the known disk that has CD-Text, nothing was found.

Thanks

Spoon, found my problem. I have two optical drives ---- one, apparently, can read CD-Text and the other one can't (even though the Nero tool said it can). Thanks for the information.

Spoon --- one follow-up before I get any further. When I first start dbpoweramp CDripper, it reads the disk and used PerfectMeta to check the external databases and I can then review the PerfectMeta matches --- that works great.

But, if I "Re-scan CD and re-read metadata from Internet" it only seems to use one database (right now, Discogs).

How do you get it to use PerfectMeta and check all the external databases again so you can see the possible differences? I found that I had to shut down completely to clear the dbpoweramp cache and reload the disk.

Is there a command to use PerfectMeta when doing a "Re-scan CD and re-read metadata from Internet?" I guess that is called "Intelligent Lookup." All five of the databases are shown checked as active.

I just thought a re-scan would be "Intelligent Lookup." Am I missing something in the "trial" version? Is there an "Options" or "Preferences" page I need to set?

Thanks -- just want learn all the options before going too far.
    Last edited by Roxie2401; 05-04-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Administrator

Try inserting a disc not used before. Also look at dBpoweramp Control Centre to ensure the trial is still active.

Not sure what is going on --- any disk I put in only used Discogs for metadata lookup. I completely uninstalled dbpoweramp (yes, it said I had 18 days remaining on the trial) and downloaded the dMC-R17.3-Ref-Trial.exe and reinstalled.

Now, each disk will use the "Intelligent Lookup" checking all the databases. Maybe something got corrupted or hung but before if I Cleared Track Metadata and used the double blue rescan arrows it only checked one external database.

Also, now it has shown that my disk drive can read CD-Text and that item is highlighted in blue with a check mark. That was not there before.

I'm thinking maybe the original install didn't complete correctly??

Spoon -- I'm just about ready to buy, and it appears that I will be getting the "Family" plan. I just need a little more information. Last night I tried to load the "trial" version on my laptop to check the compatibility. I downloaded the dMC-R17.3-Ref-Trial.exe file and did the installation. When the program scanned a disk the only active metadata was the dbpoweramp cache and Freedb; all others were grayed out and no "Intelligent Lookup." At one point I got a message box that said I needed to install "Reference." I looked at the main screen and it did not say "trial...." I even uninstalled the trial from my desktop and reinstalled on the Laptop --- but the Laptop still does not show the installation as a "trial with x days remaining."

Guess I'm a little confused but want to make a guess ---- does the server "see" two devices (probably the same IP network and two different members) and is that how you keep track of the Family installs? Why wouldn't it let me install the trial on the Laptop?

If it is, here is a my issue -- we travel and I take the Laptop --- which means using Hotel or family relative's Internet connections. How will the server "know" that I have the Family installation; aren't IP addresses dynamically assigned based on the Hotel's or my office's network, etc.? The basic question - if I take a stack of CD's to be ripped and catalogued, will the full "Intelligent Lookup" metadata be available or will it only work on my home network?

Or am I completely wrong and you don't use the IP address but a hardware ID of some sort?
    Last edited by Roxie2401; 05-05-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Administrator

We trust our end users when it comes to the family pack, there is no restrictions on installs number of devices.

Just to confirm, when traveling, I will have access to the Perfectmeta lookup no matter how I connect?

Any idea why I couldn't install the trial version on the laptop?

Placing the order for the Family pack later today, probably with PerfectTUNES -- more to clean up tags; artwork is pretty well up to date.

Thanks for all your help ---- sorry, just a lot of "beginner" questions.

Administrator

As long as you have an internet connection, you can lookup metadata.

There must be some restriction on the activation of the trial on the laptop.

Spoon --- Thanks for all the help.

Looks like you had a price increase over-night. I should have placed my order for the full suite yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxie2401 View Post
    Spoon --- Thanks for all the help.

Looks like you had a price increase over-night. I should have placed my order for the full suite yesterday.
    My mistake --- I looked at the combined Windows & Mac price. Ugh.

Order placed - thanks too all your help with my questions!