title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Accurate Rip Check for Hi-Re Purchases from Qobuz possible?

Accurate Rip Check for Hi-Re Purchases from Qobuz possible?

Dear All,

I have the following question: I buy sometimes Hi-Re files (44,1 or 96 kHz/ 24bit ALAC) from the Qobuz online store. I assume that these files are of course bit-perfect, however, I thought I could make an accurate rip check with Perfect Tunes, that I have installed on my mac.
    The result is, that Perfect Tunes says it cannot check these files saying "not in CD-Quality". Does this mean, that the accurate rip check works only for files, that are available in the standard CD format (44,1 kHz/16 bit ALAC), or where is my mistake in my thinking?

Thank you for your support.

Best,
    Christian

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Accurate Rip Check for Hi-Re Purchases from Qobuz possible?

Accurate rip tells you if you rip is bit-perfect in comparison to the rips of a certain CD, ripped by other users. Different pressings and masterings of a album can have different checksums. In case of a downloaded file nobody knows what the reference is. So I can't imagine how to verfify if those downloaded files are accurate as long as we don't know those references and their chcecksums.

Dat Ei

Thank you, DAT EI.

I thought, that if I download hi-re Files in ALAC from an official download store like Qobuz, I also get this checksum automatically, that is needed for an accurate-rip check, or is this not the case? Sorry, I hope you get my point.

dBpoweramp Guru

A checksum alone isn't enough to judge if a file is bit-perfect or accurate in the sense of dBpa. You can tell the integrity of the data by the checksum, but as long as you don't know the reference you can't compare it to other rips.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

bottom line: there is no current way with AccurateRip to do an AR database match with files other than 16/44.1 (CD quality) files. I even have downloaded purchased 16/44.1 files that can't be matched via AR, typically a check on these with PerfectTunes returns the comment that it can't check because the "length is different". I suspect that the way these files are created for download is very different from simply ripping them from a CD (because if they had been ripped from a CD, they would be able to get an AR match).