title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is it possible to rip a CD directly to an NAS drive?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is it possible to rip a CD directly to an NAS drive?

For example, WD My Cloud drive: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-c...?skuId=5990210

Or would you have to rip to the internal drive or external drive that is connected by cable first and then move it to the NAS drive?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is it possible to rip a CD directly to an NAS drive?

Quote Originally Posted by ripcd View Post
    For example, WD My Cloud drive: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-c...?skuId=5990210

Or would you have to rip to the internal drive or external drive that is connected by cable first and then move it to the NAS drive?

are you able to give the NAS drive a letter drive in your windows machine? If so, you should be able to rip directly there, just by pointing to that "letter" drive in the ripper location setting.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I don't know, I don't have it yet, I'm trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

dBpoweramp Guru

You have to look if the NAS offers a SMB/Samba service. WD's NASs do it.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Assuming you can write directly to the drive (which you should be able to), what's your backup strategy?

I have a dedicated hard drive in my PC that holds the master copy of my music, which then gets synced to a backup server and a Pi (with attached storage) for streaming purposes.

The device you linked to doesn't appear to have RAID (not that RAID is a backup), so it looks more like a backup target.

Yes you can if SMB is enabled on the NAS and the path in CD Ripper would be something like

\\NAS\media\music

You'll need to check on your NAS and folder names but remember your back up strategy.

I know that CDR can rip in multiple formats but can it RIP in the same format to multiple locations?

Administrator

Yes you can use multi-encoder and have the same encoder multiple times with different locations to rip to.