title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Is there an option/setting for UTF-8 with Byte Order Mark (BOM) ID3 and Vorbis tags encoding, rather than UTF-8 without BOM?

    My need for this comes in connection to the Fiio M5 DAP which does not (correctly) support UTF-8 without BOM tags when the tags contain non-standard characters, such as Cyrillic, Greek etc. ones.

    Thank you,
    George

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    42,087

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    UTF-8 does not have BOM as it is stored as encoded 8 bit, not 16 bit (which is UTF-16).

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    UTF-8 does not have BOM as it is stored as encoded 8 bit, not 16 bit (which is UTF-16).
    The UTF-8 standard neither requires nor recommends BOM, but it does allow for it. And in my use case it is needed to be present. So, this is why I am asking if there is such an option, rather that saying that this is some kind of error of this particular software.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by giorgos View Post
    The UTF-8 standard neither requires nor recommends BOM, but it does allow for it. And in my use case it is needed to be present. So, this is why I am asking if there is such an option, rather that saying that this is some kind of error of this particular software.
    PS: From the Unicode standard: Clipboard_20210426.jpg

    It is the BOM use as a UTF-8 signature that is needed in some cases, like in the case that I need it for.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    42,087

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

    This is the first 2 characters of a text file to indicate what its encoding is. ID Tags would not have a 2 character header as the format is indicated either by the standard (vorbis is utf8) or by a tag block header (id3v2 for example, it is possible to have ansi, utf8, unicode 16).

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

    This is the first 2 characters of a text file to indicate what its encoding is. ID Tags would not have a 2 character header as the format is indicated either by the standard (vorbis is utf8) or by a tag block header (id3v2 for example, it is possible to have ansi, utf8, unicode 16).
    Could you please point me to the section of the Unicode standard that identifies that the BOM is applicable only for text files, not for Unicode text streams in general? I have tried to locate that myself following your above response, but I couldn't. It could help me (and many other users) to bring into Fiio's attention such a point in the Unicode standard if it exists.

    Thank you.

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by giorgos View Post
    My need for this comes in connection to the Fiio M5 DAP which does not (correctly) support UTF-8 without BOM tags when the tags contain non-standard characters, such as Cyrillic, Greek etc. ones.
    Have you contacted Fiio about this?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Have you contacted Fiio about this?
    I wouldn't be here looking for a workaround if Fiio would acknowledge and fix the issue in its source.

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,540

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by giorgos View Post
    I wouldn't be here looking for a workaround if Fiio would acknowledge and fix the issue in its source.
    That doesn't surprise me, being a FiiO M11 owner myself, at all. FiiO has phantastic hardware, but the software is poor. Have you ever thought about a change of the player software? Since I've changed from FiiO's music player to "USB Audio Player Pro" I'm happy again.


    Dat Ei

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    Re: UTF-8 with BOM for ID3 and Vorbis Tags

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    That doesn't surprise me, being a FiiO M11 owner myself, at all. FiiO has phantastic hardware, but the software is poor. Have you ever thought about a change of the player software? Since I've changed from FiiO's music player to "USB Audio Player Pro" I'm happy again.


    Dat Ei

    Thank you for taking the time to comment on this and suggest a possible workaround . Unfortunately the M5 is a single/fixed SW/APP device.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •