title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File size

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thegoat
    • Apr 2021

File size

I am ripping ALAC and noticed that the file size for a CD is about 500Mb whereas the same rip by XLD is only 260Mb. A similar CD downloaded from the label is also 260Mb to ALAC Is there a reason for this because I doubt that I can absorb this extra storage
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: File size

Same sample rate and bit depth?

Dat Ei

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Are you sure that XLD is ripping to ALAC, not AAC (which is lossless) and has the same extension (.m4a).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

are you sure it is not ripping to AIFF format?

Comment

• Thegoat
          • Apr 2021

Thanks. I think I have solved it. I am definitely on LOSSLESS not AIFF. However when a CD is inserted a file size estimate is displayed. This doesn’t seem to change after ripping and is a disturbingly high figure(>500Mb). But when I transfer the file to my AK 380 the file size is displayed during transfer and this is more like the 300Mb I would expect. I will now ignore the estimate unless there is a way to calibrate it.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The estimate is just that, it is totally dependent on the type of music ripping, classical might compress better than heavy metal, as a generalization.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>