title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: File size

File size

I am ripping ALAC and noticed that the file size for a CD is about 500Mb whereas the same rip by XLD is only 260Mb. A similar CD downloaded from the label is also 260Mb to ALAC Is there a reason for this because I doubt that I can absorb this extra storage

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: File size

Same sample rate and bit depth?

Dat Ei

Administrator

Are you sure that XLD is ripping to ALAC, not AAC (which is lossless) and has the same extension (.m4a).

dBpoweramp Guru

are you sure it is not ripping to AIFF format?

Thanks. I think I have solved it. I am definitely on LOSSLESS not AIFF. However when a CD is inserted a file size estimate is displayed. This doesn’t seem to change after ripping and is a disturbingly high figure(>500Mb). But when I transfer the file to my AK 380 the file size is displayed during transfer and this is more like the 300Mb I would expect. I will now ignore the estimate unless there is a way to calibrate it.

Administrator

The estimate is just that, it is totally dependent on the type of music ripping, classical might compress better than heavy metal, as a generalization.