title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Configure AccurateRip - New HP Envy PC - Windows 10

Question Can't Configure AccurateRip - New HP Envy PC - Windows 10

I have been a dBpoweramp user for several years using a Dell laptop. The Dell recently dies and we bought an HP Envy PC with an optical drive. The PC optical drive's name is hp-DVDRW GUE1N. The drive appears to be in the dBpoweramp database.

We have over 400 CDs and I have tried every one of them to configure the CD ripper. Every disk I insert says that the disk can be used to do the configuration but when I click on the configure button, I get the same error message; "The key disk can not be used for offset detection . . . ."

Is there some way to set the offset? How can I get a disk that will work?

The HP PC is the only I have to use dBpoweramp.

Administrator

Re: Can't Configure AccurateRip - New HP Envy PC - Windows 10

This is to do with your other thread about reading from the drive, answered there.

I bought a Bruce Springsteen CD today ("Letter For You") and the system accepted it for configuration. So now I have 442 CDs that won't work for configuration and one that will (about 1 out of 3 tries).

Now the problem is that every time I launch dBpoweramp CD ripper it wants a key disk. If I try to use any CD other than the Springsteen, it fails. And the Springsteen only works about 1/3 of the time. When it fails, I eject it and start over and eventually it configures.

What can I do to make the configuration permanent?

Also - relative to the other thread about not being able to read CDs - After the Springsteen CD is accepted for configuration, dBpoweramp is able to read CDs for ripping.

Administrator

It sounds like there is a hardware issue, if the same CD can be read, then cannot be read. Try a different cd ripping program such as 'EAC':

https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

If this is the same, then look at your physical computer.

Spoon, I have tried using Windows Median Player to rip CDs with our new HP Envy PC. Windows Media Player works reliably but is not nearly as easy to use nor does it do a very good job with the Metadata. So I am not sure it is a drive problem.

When I can get the configuration to succeed with the Bruce Springsteen CD, what can I do to get dBpoweramp to remember the offset. It appears that every time I launch dBpoweramp it wants to re-do the configuration.

Administrator

What message is shown after the accuraterip processes that CD?

When the Springsteen CD works for configuration the message says; "Congratulations AccurateRip has been set up correctly. It is recommended that this disc is ripped to test the accuracy of your drive. Calculated offset value +6 samples + 24 bytes" Everytime I have gotten this far, I have ripped the Springsteen CD and all of the tracks always report an accurate rip. After dBpoweramp is configured, it works reliably until I close it. Then most times when I try to re-launch it, it reverts back to the configuration setup.

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you use security software or registry cleaner?

Dat Ei

The PC came with McAfee installed and I haven't made any changes. I do not think there is a registry cleaner installed.

Also - per Spoon request, I downloaded and installed EAC. It works reliably but it's not as easy to use as dBpoweramp. I have also used the CD ripper in the NCH Suite with this PC and it also works reliably.

Administrator

When AccurateRip configures, values are written to the registry. Something on your system is stopping dBpoweramp from saving to the registry. Restart Windows in Safemode with networking:

https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/a...-in-Safe-Mode-

This will disable the anti virus program, see if dBpoweramp works correctly then.

I tried the Safe Boot with Network and dBpoweramp worked just about the same as it did in normal mode.

I have done some additional investigation and my observations are below:

1) If I go to the menu and look at the CD Ripper Options, under CD ROM sample offset it says either "+6" or "AccurateRip to Find" Whenever it says "AccurateRip to Find" the CD ripper requires a key disk to configure and my Bruce Springsteen is still the only one that I have been able to make work. I assume you already know about this relationship.

2) If I re-boot the PC, the initial ROM status always says "+6" and the Cd ripper will work for a while without a key disk for configuration

3) After I launch and close the CD ripper the CR ROM status reverts back to "Accurate Rip to Find" The normal / safe mode does not seem to affect this transition. This transition is not completely regular. Occasionally I can close and re-open the CD ripper and still have the "+6" entry

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

As a newbie, what do I know but what about uninstalling dbpoweramp and reinstalling the programme? I have a Dell XPS 17 which came with McAfee and have no issues. I also use CCleaner which includes a registry cleaner but that hasn't been a problem either (I use CCleaner every time I shut down my XPS 17). I gave up with dbpoweramp 4 years ago but the Astell & Kern SP2000 digital audio player refused to work with WMP WAV music so I have had to persevere with db poweramp. Using Burst Mode (not Secure Mode) has gotten rid of the frustrating problems of 4 years ago and I'm halfway through ripping my 400 CD's. It is fantastic having all the artwork as opposed to 70% with WMP WAV as you appreciate. I hope that Spoon can assist to success.

Administrator

Something on your system is deleting dBpoweramps configuration files, CCleaner has been mentioned here, this program will clear dBpoweramps settings.

Spoon, is there a list of the configuration files. If there is, I could at least make a backup copy of them while dBpower amp is working. That way I would be able to copy / restore them when it stops working. Rebooting my PC seems like one way to restore dBpoweramp but that's not always convenient. It would be good to be able to just copy / restore the dBpoweramp configuration files.

I don't know much about it but possibly the McAfee security software that came with the HP Envy PC includes some sort of Registry cleanup. dB \poweramp worked great on our old PC which had Norton security software.
    Last edited by bsprice; 04-22-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Administrator

You could go down the list of installed software on the computer and see what might be doing this. Uninstalling McAfee might be a first step also.

You will have no end of issues if dBpoweramp is unable to write files / registry settings.