title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Correct Artwork, Right Music but Artist, Album & Track Names are Bollocks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Correct Artwork, Right Music but Artist, Album & Track Names are Bollocks

While looking over the CD's I'd already ripped, I noticed the name 'Dave Bourgeois'. Not one of my CD's, the artwork & music is from my CD Emotional Education by IDER but the album, artist and tracks are all bollocks. They are from an album apparently by Dave Bourgeois and I now have to delete this rubbish and re-rip the CD. Why has this happened and is this programme riddled with problems that create a mammoth amount of additional admin? Yes, it's great I'm now getting all my album artwork whereas I got about 70% in WMP WAV but who wants to spend hours & hours having to correct bollocks when it's a laborious enough task to rip hundreds of CD's in the first place?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Correct Artwork, Right Music but Artist, Album & Track Names are Bollocks

No, this CD won't give me its correct artist, album name, tracks etc, how do I fix this problem?

dBpoweramp Guru

You will need to manually edit the metadata.

If you are looking for an application that populates metadata, provides artwork automatically, produces bit-perfect audio copies and all you have to do is click a rip button, then I'm afraid you are out of luck as no such application exists.

CD Ripper may have it's quirks, but it is as good as it gets.

It is normal for me to insert a CD, take some time to manually check the metadata and artwork, make necessary changes and additions, before I click the Rip button.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I think & hope I will be able to change the erroneous metadata in Perfectunes? And no, at 50+ I don't expect a perfect little world. When I've finished this batch of CD's, I'll go into Perfectunes and see if I can find the right album name, track & artist data. As I've written, I ripped these 400 CD's last July into a new Dell XPS 17 in WMP WAV and it's a dull business to rip them again, less than a year later, simply because an Astell & Kern SP2000 digital audio player doesn't cope with WMP WAV music. My Cayin N8 Brass Black does, so did 4 previous DAP's. So I will need to slow down and check all the metadata properly, I was tricked by the correct artwork.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just a thought in terms of workload, but are you re-ripping (rather than converting your WAV files) because you are also concerned WMP did not rip correctly to WAV?

One thing I have done in the past is convert many ripped lossless WMA's (with all the metadata) to FLAC and then use CUETools or PerfectTunes to verify with AccurateRip. My experience was zero audio errors after offset sample correction which means WMP didn't do that bad over the years (although I did use error correction).

Administrator

Online metadata is far from perfect, for any program. All you need to do is verify the tracks before ripping, if there is a miss-match click the green tag icon on the titlebar, it could be that one of the other providers has it, if not click the options button and choose the manual metadata search and type artist and album name.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTP View Post
    Just a thought in terms of workload, but are you re-ripping (rather than converting your WAV files) because you are also concerned WMP did not rip correctly to WAV?

One thing I have done in the past is convert many ripped lossless WMA's (with all the metadata) to FLAC and then use CUETools or PerfectTunes to verify with AccurateRip. My experience was zero audio errors after offset sample correction which means WMP didn't do that bad over the years (although I did use error correction).
    I tried to convert all my WMP WAV music using Converter but the results were completely unusable so as of right now I've ripped 140/400 to FLAC uncompressed (plenty of space on laptop & on new SanDisk Ultra 512GB card) and apart from 1 CD (Emotional Education by IDER) all has gone well. I got 'tripped up' by not realising you have to uncheck unwanted tracks before clicking Rip but luckily I hadn't ripped too many CD's at that stage. Absolutely fantastic that every CD so far has artwork and by using Burst Mode I've avoided the pain of 4 years ago when I was ripping in Secure Mode.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTP View Post

Re your 1st line, I re-ripped the 400 CD's last summer into my new Dell XPS 17 using WMP WAV and apart from 30% of the CD's missing artwork, the WAV rips are great but Astell & Kern digital audio players don't like WMP WAV or WAV generally and won't display metadata that my Cayin N8 Brass Black will. This is why I've bought dbpoweramp again and I'm ploughing through ripping to FLAC. If I hadn't ripped all these CD's only last July, I'd be more cheerful about the ploughing.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Online metadata is far from perfect, for any program. All you need to do is verify the tracks before ripping, if there is a miss-match click the green tag icon on the titlebar, it could be that one of the other providers has it, if not click the options button and choose the manual metadata search and type artist and album name.
    Thanks for the advice, so far it's only the CD Emotional Education by IDER where all the metadata is from a French blokey's album. The artwork & music is correct. 1 out of 140 is certainly not a cause for complaint, it's wonderful to have all the album artwork compared to only 70% in WMP WAV.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
    Absolutely fantastic that every CD so far has artwork and by using Burst Mode I've avoided the pain of 4 years ago when I was ripping in Secure Mode.
    You should enable secure mode. It will only kick in if you don't get an accuraterip on 1st pass.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Secure Mode didn't work at all well for me 4 years ago, I had quite a few tracks that went on & on trying to rip. Some helpful person suggested I bought another optical drive but that didn't solve all the issues either. Things are going just fine (apart from issues already posted) so Secure Mode is not for me, thanks. One dodgy CD out of 150 ripped so far and I'm hopeful I'll be able to get the correct metadata for that one after reading Spoon's advice. And perhaps Secure Mode is a step up but I don't need the aggro I experienced 4 years ago.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Your advice worked, interestingly I noticed Emotional Education was already in Accuraterip. I now have the correct artist, album & track names to go with the album artwork that appeared previously. Clearly on a roll as I amended 2 incorrect album artworks earlier. Nothing like some help & the beginnings of experience. Just ripped 3 new CD's that just arrived, two weren't in Accuraterip! Only 250 Cd's to go.....................