title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using Burst Ripping Mode = Much Happier Ripping Experience

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Using Burst Ripping Mode = Much Happier Ripping Experience

I tried dbPoweramp Ripper about 4 years ago, it wasn't a happy or enjoyable experience tbh. It doesn't matter if I lacked sufficient tech or ripping ability or not. I ripped about 50GB of CD's to FLAC, gave up, deleted the ripped music. Although every DAP I've owned so far has been able to work with WMP WAV ripping including my Cayin N8 Brass Black, the Astell & Kern SP2000 refused. A whole bunch of metadata didn't display, why Astell & Kern haven't sorted this issue out after all these years is beyond my simple understanding.
    Anyway, this prompted me to purchase Ripper & Perfectunes on a 5 download basis (my previous purchase was stuck on a previous laptop LOL). I started ripping some 400 CD's yesterday (ha ha, I'd already ripped them into my new XPS 17 laptop last July in WMP WAV) and one setting made all the difference (to me) and that was leaving the rip mode in Burst Mode without error correction. I calibrated my ASUS optical drive with the first 3 CD's (phew) and I now have the first batch of 20 CD's in a new FLAC Music folder and they play just fine. Hugely impressed I have ALL the album artwork (I have about 75% of the artwork in my WMP WAV music folder) so I'm very encouraged by this. As I have a new SanDisk Ultra 512GB micro SD card & 1TB SSD on my Dell XPS 17, I'm using Uncompressed FLAC.
    Perhaps I might get even better results using the Secure ripping option but I remember this caused multiple instances of some tracks not ripping after many, many attempts. Only 1 CD wasn't already on the Accurate database.
    Want to thank Gary for his help & encouragement.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Using Burst Ripping Mode = Much Happier Ripping Experience

Hi ChrisChas, obviously pleased that you are having great success this time around.

Having ripped around 3,000 CDs, approximately 95% only required a single pass in Secure mode, which is, effectively Burst Mode. I set it to reject the disc on AccurateRip.

If a track has more than 25 frames needing re-ripping, I abort and clean the CD, which often at the least reduces the number of errors. If still high I pop it in a different drive - others may have a different strategy.

All the best with the rest of your collection.

dBpoweramp Guru

Good to hear you are on track.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

And guess what I'm up to on this sunny afternoon in London? Anyone? Two weeks I reckon, if I keep at it, 7-10 mins per CD, sorry got to go, time to change CD's!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I see that my artwork typically shows at 800 x 800 and that in Perfectunes, I am sometimes able to increase the resolution. What dimension is the 800 x 800 or 1000 x 1000 in terms of a DAP screen of 3.5" or 5" size? Currently my Cayin N8 Brass Black DAP using WMP WAV sorts itself out without any guidance from me