title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Some data from my ripping experience

Some data from my ripping experience

Hi Everyone,
    I just finished up my ripping experience...is that what it's called? I don't know - my entire collection is now ripped to FLAC with dBpoweramp. Overall the process was extremely easy aside from some problem discs. Below is some of the data from my experience along with my hardware and some costs (from 2020):

Ripping Devices - I found someone else who had just posted some data and stole their hardware list, it worked well for me as well:

Primary Device: LG Electronics Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable DVD+/-RW External Drive w/ M-Disc Support (GP65NW60) - $24 on Amazon (colors will affect pricing...so click around!) - I liked this device because it seemed to handle C2 Errors without a problem

Secondary Device: Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive IHAS124-14 ($21) inside a Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB3.0 External Enclosure ($48) - this thing is quick if you have space for the setup

Tertiary Device: Vertical Drive on my HP tower (tried not to use this) because it was super loud

Rip Data:
    Albums Ripped: 1071
    Net Music Runtime: 831.46 hours
    Total Tracks Rippped: 12,814
    Net Ripping Time (including disc issues, re-rips, etc.): 92.39 hours - NOTE - This is just ripping time...add minutes for changing discs, etc. and it was probably a bit longer because I didn't start logging re-rips/errors/troubleshooting until about 300 discs in when I realized that's where the majority of the time goes

Total Accurate Ripped Tracks: 12,230 (95.44%)
    Total Secure Ripped Tracks: 552 (4.31%) - these are mostly discs that weren't in AccurateRip
    Total Burst Ripped Tracks: 28 (0.22%) - I had some discs that had seen some abuse...I thought this number would be a lot higher

I'm not sure why I'm missing 4 tracks there...probably just some accounting errors on my part...

All files were ripped to FLAC as designated in the 'Getting started' guide.

Data remains on the HDD it was ripped to and has been backed up onto a NAS (Synology 220+ with upgraded RAM and a pair of WD Ultrastar 6TB drives ($820)).

Data is also being backed up onto Verbatim M-Discs (50 GB each) using a Pioneer BDR-212DBK Internal Blu-Ray Writer with M-DISC Support (6x) in another VantecNST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure ($75 drive, $48 enclosure, and ~$5.5 per disc (should use about 7 discs, so ~$40 total there). These discs will go into jewel cases and be stored in an ammo can ($20) for dust/waterproof storage (hopefully).

Also, since a big part of this was reducing the volume of space that CD's were taking up in my home, I utilized some Tyvek Sleeves (500 count for $73) and some 4 mil Gatefold Polyethylene sleeves (500 count for $78). I'm not sure if this is the best idea but I figured I would give it a go. I only used it for single discs (no compilations/2-disc sets/etc.) - each sleeved disc is probably about 1/4 the size of a jewel disc.

The only remaining things to do are to convert all the FLAC files to MP3 for portable use and figure out how to use the NAS to send music to different parts of the house.

Total Project Cost: $1,475

Hopefully this helps someone else out there!! Good luck and happy ripping!
    -Warlock

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Some data from my ripping experience

Nice summary. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Blimey! You are organised, I've just started to Rip my 400 CD's and the change over defo adds to the project time. I have all my ripped to WMP WAV CD's written down as I don't rip every track on some CD's so I am having to find those CD's on one of 20 pages. Plan to back-up to a SanDisk Extreme 500GB portable SSD. My portable devices are happy with FLAC, what are you using that requires MP3?

HAHAHA!! Thanks. Most of the organization came from reading a similar post when I started down this road back in November. I just used Google Sheets to build a 'database' in and recorded times from the rip logs. It also helped me get pretty fast at typing numbers, LOL.

The biggest reason for converting everything to MP3's is to (potentially) be able to upload it to my personal YouTube Music Library. It's kind of the backup to the backup to the backup. Also, probably the most convenient way to access it on the go.

The other reason was in case FordSync3 didn't like the FLAC files, then I would just have them ready to go in MP3 form. I've also got a SanDisk Extreme but I got the 1 TB version (I think it was at Costco for like $140 or something). I just put all the music on it yesterday but haven't been able to borrow the wife's car to see if it will index properly in there. If it doesn't, I might need to find a portable device that can store 500 GB or so to be able to access everything in FLAC (I'm not sure they make (affordable) SD cards that big yet) or what sort of player to get. I've got an old Samsung Galaxy Media Player but I think it only recognizes storage up to like 60 GB or something. I'm hoping the SanDisk works because then you don't have to deal with batteries or anything like that.

One final note (and you can do your own research), depending on how much time you end up invested in this, you might want to look at some other back-ups. SSD's are known to have data leakage issues over time, so if you NEVER want to have to do this again, you might consider something more stable like Blu-Ray or if you're over the top like me, M-DISC. Also, just a powered down platter drive should be reliable assuming you can boot it back up (this is where the NAS came into play for me since it's redundant on itself AND I can access it - I'm also ripping my DVD's and stuff, so it will work to play those over the network when, inevitably, our internet goes down for hours/days/weeks).
    -Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
    Blimey! You are organised, I've just started to Rip my 400 CD's and the change over defo adds to the project time. I have all my ripped to WMP WAV CD's written down as I don't rip every track on some CD's so I am having to find those CD's on one of 20 pages. Plan to back-up to a SanDisk Extreme 500GB portable SSD. My portable devices are happy with FLAC, what are you using that requires MP3?

Hey Gary!
    Thank YOU for all the help you provide here. Definitely appreciate you and Spoon being super active and always responding!
    -Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Nice summary. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

SSD's have known data leakage problems over time! And I thought you were so nice, so my XPS 17's SSD will suffer data leakage & the SanDisk Extreme portable SSD. I do have a Western Digital 'old fashioned' hard drive that's not doing anything useful. What about backing up to another SanDisk Ultra micro SD card? I won't need more than my new 512GB card I bought for the dbpoweramp rip project, do micro SD cards suffer from data leakage?