title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC or ALAC, which one to choose

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexkorsun
    • Apr 2021

FLAC or ALAC, which one to choose

Hello everyone
    This is my first time posting here. As non-technical personnel, I have a question.
    I am going to use dBpoweramp CD Ripper to digitalize my music CDs to audio. It is said that FLAC and ALAC with lossless compression provide the best sound effects. But I don’t know which one to choose.
    I read some articles on the Internet. This author says the size of FLAC is bigger than ALAC, but their quality is not much different (https://www.cisdem.com/resource/flac-to-alac.html). Is he right? I am considering ripping CDs to ALAC.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC or ALAC, which one to choose

The quality should be identical, they are both lossless formats.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by alexkorsun
      I read some articles on the Internet. This author says the size of FLAC is bigger than ALAC, but their quality is not much different (https://www.cisdem.com/resource/flac-to-alac.html). Is he right? I am considering ripping CDs to ALAC.
      The quality is the same. Personally, I would rip to flac, as it is more widely used.

Comment

• alexkorsun
        • Apr 2021

Thank you for your suggestion, I will think about it.

Comment

• BOOTP
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Feb 2020

I would definitely say go with FLAC.

In terms of quality, it doesn't matter but ALAC does not have a built-in check (CRC) to verify the integrity of the audio - FLAC does.

By using foobar2000 and FLAC, every so often I can check the integrity of my entire library by using Utilities --> Verify integrity in foobar2000. Some people use a 'Test Conversion' in dBpoweramp Batch Converter but foobar2000 is the way I do it, plus you can view the report of checksums.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

For me, this is the key reason to use FLAC (and one that many do not seem to understand, until they have file corruption issues and then it is too late).

Comment

Working...

]]>