title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Padded Compilation Tag

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Padded Compilation Tag

Hi.

I find tagging, and making improvements to tagging a never ending process, and today I noticed my Compilation tags (where used) are actually padded to '01' instead of '1'.

I assume the Compilation is a simple Boolean but was wondering if '01' would still work correctly? I use foobar2000, but was unsure how to evidence the compilation tag is actually working in the player?

I could script a simple reformat of the value if needed, but I kind of like all the numbers being padded.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Padded Compilation Tag

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTP View Post
    Hi.

I find tagging, and making improvements to tagging a never ending process, and today I noticed my Compilation tags (where used) are actually padded to '01' instead of '1'.

I assume the Compilation is a simple Boolean but was wondering if '01' would still work correctly? I use foobar2000, but was unsure how to evidence the compilation tag is actually working in the player?

I could script a simple reformat of the value if needed, but I kind of like all the numbers being padded.

Thanks.
    might work, but I'd fix if it was me. COMPILATION tag field either should exist with a value of "1" or not exist at all.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    might work, but I'd fix if it was me. COMPILATION tag field either should exist with a value of "1" or not exist at all.
    Thanks Gary - is there a way in general (using foobar2000) to check compilation tags are working properly? When I look at my Album List I just see options like 'by folder structure', 'by artist/album', etc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Gary - is there a way in general (using foobar2000) to check compilation tags are working properly? When I look at my Album List I just see options like 'by folder structure', 'by artist/album', etc.
    not sure. I use "facets" as my interface with foobar2000 and I have a column where I can show compilations (or not), so I can see that it is picking up my compilation tag and listing albums appropriately. But I'd say that this is irrelevant. Even if foobar2000 works with this (currently), why would you want your files to have something coded incorrectly in a tag field.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    not sure. I use "facets" as my interface with foobar2000 and I have a column where I can show compilations (or not), so I can see that it is picking up my compilation tag and listing albums appropriately. But I'd say that this is irrelevant. Even if foobar2000 works with this (currently), why would you want your files to have something coded incorrectly in a tag field.
    Fair point. I generally go for a more minimalist approach with tags so might just ditch this tag anyway as not sure I have it 'correctly' assigned anyway. In reading other threads, it does seem the definition of what makes a 'compilation' is rather loose; plus I will not be using iTunes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Fair point. I generally go for a more minimalist approach with tags so might just ditch this tag anyway as not sure I have it 'correctly' assigned anyway. In reading other threads, it does seem the definition of what makes a 'compilation' is rather loose; plus I will not be using iTunes.
    Some don't use this tag. For many, use of ALBUM ARTIST is more important in the case of albums with differing artists (what some would call a compilation)